Thread: My "BIG" Walnut Bowl

My "BIG" Walnut Bowl

This bowl is now roughed out but started out at over 60lbs and it was fun getting on my lathe. It's 7 1/2" deep and 14" across. It took over 4 hrs getting it to this stage. It's in a DNA bath right now but I hope to be able to finish it soon. There is one small knot close to the rim but other than that it's nice and clear. What kind of finish would you put on this thing? It will be a great popcorn or mixing bowl. I like the contrasting sap wood with this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. If used for popcorn.........I would use Behlens Salad bowl finish......or better yet Mahoney's walnut oil........can't go wrong with that and it is food safe.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That should make for a strking bowl Donny! I use Mahoneys a lot but about any oil finish should do.

Donny,
    I like the shape for a big bowl - and that's a big one. When I've turned bigs like this, it makes me wish for a coring system. It seems like a shame to leave all of that walnut on the floor!. I like where you're going with this one.

A few observations:
    The tenon looks frighteningly small for such a big bowl. Do you have a bigger chuck - like 4" or more?

For safety reasons, I hope you are using a bowl steady or steady rest. With that little tenon, the additional support would be nice.
    These aren't criticisms but observations. If this gets out of round, which it most likely will, you may end up with stability issues with final turning.

Enjoy and post the finished product when you're done.

Oh, I agree with Mahoney's Walnut finish.

Looks like a great start Donny! That's a nice chunk of walnut and the finished bowl should look really nice.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

great walnut..this bowl should get great use over many many years..one caveat: some folks are allergic to walnut..do not let them eat out of this bowl..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Donny that is great piece of walnut, big to. I like the contrast between the sap and heart wood but I find that the sapwood turns darker when it gets dried. I'm not sure if it is from the alcohol or sanding dust getting in the lighter wood. I hope it stays like it is.
    Fred