Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions on unloading SawStop and moving it into the shop

I had the same concerns about getting her down to the basement shop. Andrew captured my experience well. The rented appliance dolly (2-wheeler made for refrigerators) was important. That made the job safe and easy. The Packaging and Assembly Instructions are the best I have ever seen on anything that required assembly, period. I think I could have done it solo. I'm very glad I had a spotter/helper. You'll be fine. Enjoy.

Chain hoist from Harbor Freight. Stout tree limb. Cheap OSB from Lowe's (2 pieces). Something to roll it on (dolly or mobile base).

A question more directed to Bill and Andrew or anyone who has moved a PCS to a basement shop.

Moving anything through the house to my basement has always been a bear due to some tight turns so I've always relied on going through the bulk-head. Would that pose a problem from what you guys have experienced?

When I purchased my Uni-saw back in 1987, I rented a pick-up truck with a lift gate. Tool supplier loaded the saw on to the truck bed and we secured it with nylon straps. At the house, backed the the truck into the garage about two feet from the saw's intended position, moved the saw over to the gate, then lowered it.

Back then, the rental for 4 hours was slightly less than US $30.00 for half a day. The two of us did not even work up a sweat....

I did all the stuff on my PCS with two other friends. As stated, when you unbox it, it has just the center section of the table on it. This makes it much narrower and somewhat lighter than the full up assembly. I shoved the skid as close as I could get it. Tipped it over myself, but the wheels on it, and then me and my friends got it the rest of the way in. They then put the rest of the saw together (the table wings, the extended table, the outfeed table, and the fence rails...gosh darn it everybody whats to play with the new toy).

Quote Originally Posted by David Hou View Post
    A question more directed to Bill and Andrew or anyone who has moved a PCS to a basement shop.

Moving anything through the house to my basement has always been a bear due to some tight turns so I've always relied on going through the bulk-head. Would that pose a problem from what you guys have experienced?
    Because the extensions were not on the saw, the footprint is actually pretty small. At this point in the move, handles are also not installed. There is a side piece that is trivially removed where the motor extrudes when the blade is tilted, but the blade is not tilted when you move the saw....

I am not clear on how your bulkhead looks, but this thing is much smaller than a washer or dryer... The biggest problem is that the appliance dolly adds a dimension to the table saw. The saw, however, is sitting on a piece of plywood that is 24"x24", so you could always pull that plywood off the dolly, spin it on the floor (in a turn or similar), then pull it forward a bit to make room for the dolly again.

If you want to experiment a bit, just get an appliance dolly for an initial test and place a 24"x24" piece of ply on the base and see how it works. You will be out the dolly rental, but it may be worth the $20.

here is what i did with my sears zip code. since my shop is small and i have to store everything tightly when the cars are in i had to put mine on a mobile base. mine came via shipper which wheeled it into the garage. saw was on a pallet, so i could push it around a bit as my wife was there for delivery. unbolted from pallet. then put mobile base next to pallet in right place. called over neighbor and he and i just had to barely lift and move it slightly and set it done in base. if its going to be stationary i would do nearly the same thing. move it into its place. i would assume this comes on a pallet too. you would want two extra people. one to help you lift and the other to push away the pallet, then just lower. other suggestions for getting off a truck seem to be fine for the short amount of time the saw would be on its side. a movers belt might help as well to lower it out of the truck easy.

Thanks for the additional info Andrew. Sounds like it should not be a problem given the size that you referred to. With the help of a friend of mine and myself, we were able to move the Ridgid r4511 (granite top) saw into my shop through the bulkhead so I'm thinking that this will be similar - or maybe easier since it might be a bit lighter than the Ridgid unit as I did not remove the granite top when moving that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Because the extensions were not on the saw, the footprint is actually pretty small. At this point in the move, handles are also not installed. There is a side piece that is trivially removed where the motor extrudes when the blade is tilted, but the blade is not tilted when you move the saw....

I am not clear on how your bulkhead looks, but this thing is much smaller than a washer or dryer... The biggest problem is that the appliance dolly adds a dimension to the table saw. The saw, however, is sitting on a piece of plywood that is 24"x24", so you could always pull that plywood off the dolly, spin it on the floor (in a turn or similar), then pull it forward a bit to make room for the dolly again.

If you want to experiment a bit, just get an appliance dolly for an initial test and place a 24"x24" piece of ply on the base and see how it works. You will be out the dolly rental, but it may be worth the $20.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hou View Post
    Thanks for the additional info Andrew. Sounds like it should not be a problem given the size that you referred to. With the help of a friend of mine and myself, we were able to move the Ridgid r4511 (granite top) saw into my shop through the bulkhead so I'm thinking that this will be similar - or maybe easier since it might be a bit lighter than the Ridgid unit as I did not remove the granite top when moving that.
    I found it much easier to move the sawstop in than the Ridgid in or out; but I did not have the dolly for the Ridgid.

Does your shop have a garage door or are you trying to gain access through a human-sized door?