Thread: General miter saw questions

General miter saw questions

I'm looking for a sliding miter saw to replace a non sliding one that's lasted beyond the time it should have for the original price paid and what all I've put it through.

I'm interested in a slider for the ability to cross cut 12 inch boards as well as for the dado abilities also since that seems like an easy way to do that without getting out a router and complicated jigs and stops being set up all the time.

What I'd like to know is whether to get a 10 inch or a 12 inch saw? I've read that the 12 inch blade takes longer to get up to speed before starting the cut. That would be annoying I believe, but I don't know since I've never used anything but 10 inch saws. What about power losses from larger blades on the 12 over the 10 with the same size motor?

Also, how often do you use the bevel feature on your saw? I'm a contractor and occasionally need to do trim work but I've had no real need for the bevel cut. Since mine only beveled one way I've always worked around not having it for both directions and I'm used to finding ways to get the cuts I need without it. I'm wondering how much nicer it might be to have one that has a dual bevel action instead of only one way?

Concerning the fences, some have the adjustable sliding top portions. Is this just to make clearance for the bevel cuts or is there some function that involves having the fence spread out? It seems the fence would be harder to align vertically when extended.

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Duane, I have the Bosch 5312, it is a 12" unit, have had it for 6 months + and very happy, blade gets up to speed immediately, powers through the wood easily (currently doing large kitchen in hickory), fast and easy to adjust and is dead on angle wise right out of the box. Spent some time last month before I started this new project to check the 90', and it is still within 0.0015 over 12" long cut after 6 months and hundreds of cuts. Bevels cuts are easy to adjust as well as you do it rom the front of the saw. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Bledsoe View Post
    I've read that the 12 inch blade takes longer to get up to speed before starting the cut. That would be annoying I believe, but I don't know since I've never used anything but 10 inch saws. What about power losses from larger blades on the 12 over the 10 with the same size motor?
    I have NO idea what this statement means. I have an older Dewalt 12" sliding miter saw. There is NO way I can detect the difference in it and my Craftsman 10" saw getting up to speed. You pull the trigger, it's up to speed. I have no idea what the info you read is talking about. If you want the ability to cut wider and deeper, go with the 12". You will never notice a difference in the starting speed.

I have a Makita and it is hyper-accurate. My only beefs are the blade brake is slow to activate and reaching around the back to change bevel is a pain. The laser and the light is great.

However, I've used a Bosch and the controls are much simpler to operate, convenient and motor is powerful. Slides operate smoother also. So if I had to do it all over again it would be a Bosch.

what kind of construction work do you do . more info might give you responses that are more helpful . How much do you want to spend . How much weight can you pack around .What type of table/set-up do you like .
    If you have been fine without a slider you maynot need one .they tend to weigh a lt more and take up more space . From what little you said the slight accuracy lost in a 12 vs a 10 is not an issue to you .Do you want dust collection? You might go to few supply houses and look at a few .Then ask more questions .Fun- buying a new saw