Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving your presentation at a demo

Improving your presentation at a demo

I went to a turners club meeting this evening and while there, was asked to do a demo on lidded boxes again for a different club this time......in January upcoming. Seems like the powers that be have noticed some of my work and want a demo.

I want to save time and thought perhaps about having some stages of the turning already completed along the way and have them as show items to illustrate the process instead of turning a box from beginning to the end, and just do the major things like fitting the lid and body and perhaps have most of the inside hollowed except for the last little bit where I show how to get the straight sides and flat bottom on the inside....perhaps show how to finish off the lid with a knob and then how to finish off the bottom in real time turning.

To you veteran demonstrators...........does this sound like a good plan?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I'm not a demonstrator at all, but I think the fact that you have a plan is probably the most important thing. Saving time for the group is always a good idea and shows that you care about your audience. Since you're teaching, you want to convey the information clearly, but in the most efficient way, all the while keeping it entertaining. As an experienced speaker, I'm sure you'll cover all bases.

I saw a demo on segmented turning that was done entirely without a lathe in the room. There were pieces in various stages of completion and an excellent Power Point. It was one of my favorite demos so far. Almost all demos I've seen skip at least most of the sanding (for safety) and many presenters have pieces at various stages of completion on hand, just in case something goes wrong with the actual demonstration piece. If time runs short, they just skip ahead to the next stage, which is already prepared.

However you choose to present it, you'll do fine, Roger. It's in your nature.

I will have several in different stages, and try to show a couple of different ways to do the same thing. One can never have too many toys.... The remaining blanks go into the wood raffle. Good plan.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    I'm not a demonstrator at all, but I think the fact that you have a plan is probably the most important thing. Saving time for the group is always a good idea and shows that you care about your audience. Since you're teaching, you want to convey the information clearly, but in the most efficient way, all the while keeping it entertaining. As an experienced speaker, I'm sure you'll cover all bases.

I saw a demo on segmented turning that was done entirely without a lathe in the room. There were pieces in various stages of completion and an excellent Power Point. It was one of my favorite demos so far. Almost all demos I've seen skip at least most of the sanding (for safety) and many presenters have pieces at various stages of completion on hand, just in case something goes wrong with the actual demonstration piece. If time runs short, they just skip ahead to the next stage, which is already prepared.

However you choose to present it, you'll do fine, Roger. It's in your nature.
    Thanks much for the encouragement Doug..........and the tips........not sure I will do a power point on this one, but that is a pretty good idea......probably as much effort into illustrating in powerpoint, especially with pics included as in the project itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I will have several in different stages, and try to show a couple of different ways to do the same thing. One can never have too many toys.... The remaining blanks go into the wood raffle. Good plan.

robo hippy
    Reed.........thanks! I thought for sure I would show a couple of ways to mount........either a tenon [contraction mode] or recess [expansion mode] and perhaps an inset lid and an overlay lid.......just have the props ready and they can be passed around among the audience as the demo is happening at the lathe. Also have a few examples of different style boxes that can be done.

Roger, I have only done a couple of demos and those were on hollowing. We all know that hollowing takes a long time, so I took a number of examples with me to show a form at various points in the process. Those forms were passed around at the appropriate time during the demo. I also took a large chunk of green wood to actually turn for the demo. The shaping on the outside didn't take long but was a great way to demo a number of different cuts using a bowl gouge.

When I started the actual hollowing process, I explained the captured rig (Monster), cutters, laser, etc and how they all work inside the vessel. Once the green blank was partially hollowed, I invited any interested members to come up and give it a try.My thoughts were that if you are not into hollowing yet, where else would you be able to use a captured system? The interesting thing about having the members give it a try, and there were quite a few, was that the questions really started to flow as opposed to having everyone just sit there and be entertained.

I have two demos behind me now - both with the hands-on approach - and plan to stick with that method of teaching as it really works... for me.

Have fun with your demo! Don't over-think things... just relax and be yourself!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

One crucial aspect is fitting your demo to the time available -- I suspect that the time available for some of the demos discussed above was far longer than for others. Hollowing itself is where you can save a lot of time by using prepared examples taken to various points in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Once the green blank was partially hollowed, I invited any interested members to come up and give it a try.My thoughts were that if you are not into hollowing yet, where else would you be able to use a captured system? The interesting thing about having the members give it a try, and there were quite a few, was that the questions really started to flow as opposed to having everyone just sit there and be entertained.......

Thanks for that suggestion Steve........it is a good one. I am not sure that the critical issues of fitting a lid properly can happen with a number of hands giving a go at it.......too much room for error, but if I was doing something like hollowing out with a captured system.......that would be a go for those who wanted to put their hands on it and try.

Roger, first of all, I congratulate you on your willingness to share. You obviously have something to offer that people desire. Being a demonstrator of woodturning is not easy, regardless of your style or technique. I’ve been demonstrating “segmenting” for many years and one of the biggest challenges is addressing a room full of folks with a wide range of experience. It’s impossible to be everything to everyone – go too slow and the experienced are bored, go too fast and the beginners are frustrated. Just the fact that you’ve posted your question tells me “you care” and consequentially, you’ll do a good job. Good luck.

A couple thoughts...

First off, leave the sand paper at home. Nothing turns me off at a demo more than the demonstrator sanding the piece (usually through several grits). It causes dust, it takes too much time and unless your demo-ing sanding techniques.... the vast majority of the audience is familiar with sanding.

Next, keep talking to the audience and explain every step your performing with explanations of "why" your doing it that way.

If you get questions from the audience durning the turning, stop the lathe and talk to that person directly if possible. That keeps the focus on the question and not on ignoring an important question while they are still concentrating on what your doing on the lathe.

I understand Steve's reasoning for asking for folks to "come on up and try out the monster" but in most cases a demo is a demo and not a workshop. If you offer the opportunity for the audience to come up and try something, you are reducing the time you have to show the others your demo. A lot of folks do NOT want to be up in front of people and would NOT come up anyway for a hands on session. A lathe area flooded with audience members, isolates everyone else in the room.

Finally, have fun...smile...and remember that most of the crowd won't go home and try what your showing them. They are there to be entertained and enjoy watching a turner enjoying thier craft.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    Roger, first of all, I congratulate you on your willingness to share. You obviously have something to offer that people desire. Being a demonstrator of woodturning is not easy, regardless of your style or technique. I’ve been demonstrating “segmenting” for many years and one of the biggest challenges is addressing a room full of folks with a wide range of experience. It’s impossible to be everything to everyone – go too slow and the experienced are bored, go too fast and the beginners are frustrated. Just the fact that you’ve posted your question tells me “you care” and consequentially, you’ll do a good job. Good luck.
    Thank you for your encouragement Malcolm...........I am a fan of your work and just recently purchased your book on the Art of Segmented Woodturning........segmented forms are on my list of skills I want to acquire and become very good at. My issues are finding time to turn and I have not read anything but your introduction in the book to date........that will change hopefully soon.

I did this demo for another club in July........I want to have less time taken up by hollowing and focus more on the crucial aspects of forming and fitting the lid .......likely a domed/architectural style box.

Lidded box demos can be the most boring of all the demos. Watching someone get the correct fit for jamb chucks and fitting the lid, a couple of times during the show, can really slow down the show. Then invariably, the demonstrator ends up pulling out some paper towel somewhere in the demo to correct the fit after we had watched him try to get the fit for 5 minutes. Then doing any sanding inside a small container is something that noone can see, or appreciate being shown. If a person could get by without turning on a lathe, so much the better as far as I am concerned. It takes a great camera guy to make watching a small container demo something interesting to a crowd, and even then the camera gets blocked a lot. A step by step handout is great, but all they really need is a place to buy Raffan's book. I watched him demo boxes almost 30 years ago, and everyone has used the exact same techniques ever since.

"First off, leave the sand paper at home"

Thanks Scott...........that one is a given!

I probably should have stated that the hands-on portion of the evening's entertainment was held during the last 10 minutes of the meeting. We have a very small club and as soon as the demonstrator is finished with their presentation... folks jump up and start to leave. I found that having folks step up and try things out - after the demo - was a way to peak their interest and also answer a host of questions that just seem to never get asked during a presentation. Just threw the idea out there for your consideration as each club is different and what I do may only work for me.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I probably should have stated that the hands-on portion of the evening's entertainment was held during the last 10 minutes of the meeting. We have a very small club and as soon as the demonstrator is finished with their presentation... folks jump up and start to leave. I found that having folks step up and try things out - after the demo - was a way to peak their interest and also answer a host of questions that just seem to never get asked during a presentation. Just threw the idea out there for your consideration as each club is different and what I do may only work for me.
    Thanks again Steve.......the club I am going to demo at has 75 members.......sometimes with most attending a demo. I appreciate your input.......