Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Tools Question?

Upgrading Tools Question?

Hey folks, havent posted in over a year, but see all is still good at the creek.

I am upgrading tools this year. Just god rid of my dust collector, and have on order a 5 hp clearvue cyclone. Dust has really been bothering me the past while, and after reading some sites/info on dust, it really put me in gear.

Out went the 6" jointer, router table, and drum sander<due to lack of use and space> also. The floorstanding drill press is tilting head mortiser is next.

Question is, has anyone gone with a combo 12"Jointer/planer and regretted giving up the single machines? I have a 15" Grizz planer now that I plan on keeping so I dont have to switch between joint/plane operations and still get the 12" jointer in a compact space. Space is not the big issue, but rather like 12" index cutterhead.

Also, I an going to replace the floorstanding drill press with a bench top model. The General International has a 1/2 hp that seems pretty good. For the amount of times Ive used the floor unit, I am tired of moving it around. Its top heavy and does roll easy.

Thanks for the info in advance.
    Joe P

Joe,

I don't view what you're suggesting as an upgrade but a downsizing operation. Are you meaning to imply that you will replace the single tools with higher quality multi-tools? I have an Inca jointer/planer that is an old Swiss machine that's highly accurate, but usually I opt for the Jet Jointer with Shelix head or Powermatic Planer. I do use the Inca on a semi-regular basis and it's much more accurate about things. If they made a Shelix head for the Inca I would be in heaven. You have to decide if 12" is enough to plane your wood. If you mostly plane small boards then you won't have a problem. If you like using wide boards, you will have an issue.

I had three different drill presses, two bench-tops. I kept the floor model like yours (mine is an old Rockwell). There's no comparison between a bench top and the one you currently own. Consider a Jet mobile base as mine moves along like it's on skates.

Rich, sorry I was not quite clear. My intent is to get rid of machines that I dont use, and upgrade the quality of the machine that I use all the time. Jointer 12" will be plenty. Has to have a sheer cutterhead. I am so tired of setting straight knives.

Also, no comparison between bench and floor presses in what way? Power? Quality of Build?
    Thanks Joe

Best bang for the buck in the JP area is the Hammer with the silent power cutter. Uses the least power and gives a great finish. i consider insert head more important on the planer and if you don't really need a planer I would get a short bed jointer even with a straight knife and put the spiral on a stand alone planer. Dave

I bought a Hammer A3-31 and it's a great machine, I wish I had purchased it earlier...........Rod.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I am trading single for multi function as well. I am pretty sure I won't mind the change over time of a joiner/planer, but I would not give up my floor standing drill press for a bench top model. I don't worry about moving it though as living in earthquake country, it is the one tool bolted to the floor, just too top heavy and unstable. My stand alone hollow chisel mortiser was the first tool to go in my reorganization. Just never could get it to cut a clean mortise. Probably my fault, but I don't miss it.

James

I think you may miss the floor DP. I know I would.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

David, the Hammer is more than I am willing to spend. However your thought on the planer head being more important than jointer cutter? Why ?
    thanks joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe pezza View Post
    David, the Hammer is more than I am willing to spend. However your thought on the planer head being more important than jointer cutter? Why ?
    thanks joe
    Joe, In my world the jointer just makes one side flat for the planer. I run the board through the planer and then run the jointed side to final dimension. Edge jointing is the only time the jointed side shows and most of the time i touch the edge on the edge sander. I would rather have a wixey or Proscale on the planer with a spiral head. I also prefer old jointers as I think their tables are generally better quality and ground more flat and they don't come with spirals. If you go spiral on a jointer you must have a way to adjust either the head or the tables in all directions and on all corners as you can't set the knives parallel to the tables as you can with a straight knife. Don't buy a new wedgebed with a spiral, need a parallelogram for the adjustability unless you can adjust the head. Dave

james, mortiser seemed like a great tool at time of purchase, but too little use. when i started setting up shop ten yrs ago, i thought i needed every tool going, but now i have finally turned the proverbial corner and realize there is more than one way to skin a cat. i think i really got better at woodworking when i reallized they have a tool to sell you for every second of the day.
    joe

Benchtop Drill Press Suggestion:

I have a floor-mount that I wouldn't give up, hoever a friend has the neatest BT installation I've seen.

One classic complaint about BT models is the ability to drill deep pieces, such as the latch set in a door. Although I don't often need the depth, my friend bolted their BTDP to the bench in such a way that they can swivel the head over the edge of the bench. Together with a well thought-out bench to permit material clamping under the swung head (they had drawers under the edge of the bench) he could still edge-drill wide stock.

Just a neat install that I've seen.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

James,

What kind of stand alone hollow chisel mortiser do you have? Many of the newer ones work well, but it's certainly an extra in most shops.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    I am trading single for multi function as well. I am pretty sure I won't mind the change over time of a joiner/planer, but I would not give up my floor standing drill press for a bench top model. I don't worry about moving it though as living in earthquake country, it is the one tool bolted to the floor, just too top heavy and unstable. My stand alone hollow chisel mortiser was the first tool to go in my reorganization. Just never could get it to cut a clean mortise. Probably my fault, but I don't miss it.

James

Rich, sorry I was not quite clear. My intent is to get rid of machines that I dont use, and upgrade the quality of the machine that I use all the time. Jointer 12" will be plenty. Has to have a sheer cutterhead. I am so tired of setting straight knives.

Also, no comparison between bench and floor presses in what way? Power? Quality of Build?
    Thanks Joe
    Fine Wood Working just did a comparison of the jointer planer models. The Felder group is having a sale this week if you didn't know it, and the price for their unit won't be much different than the Shelix head Jet planer jointer.. I don't know if they have the head you want though. If you check your mail, there is a copy of the Fine Wood Working review of the jointers in it. Good luck in your decision.

Rich

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Rich,

I don't have it any longer, sold it about 2 years ago. It was a Powermatic, non-tilting model, with an open leg base purchased around 2002 (Taiwan made). I tried everything including buying expensive Clico chisels and honing the death out of them. Still every cut seemed to just rip fibers of wood rather than to slice them, and there was so much play in the head (which I tried to adjust out) there the chisel always moved to follow the soft spot in the wood, so multiple cuts NEVER lined up into a straight row. Frankly I can do better with a pig sticker and in about the same time considering I don't have to clean up the poor result, and resize my tenons.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    James,

What kind of stand alone hollow chisel mortiser do you have? Many of the newer ones work well, but it's certainly an extra in most shops.

Has to have a sheer cutterhead. I am so tired of setting straight knives.
    Nothing easier than setting knives in a Tersa cutterhead.