Thread: Walker turner tablesaw restoration

Walker turner tablesaw restoration

Picked this up off Craigslist last week, as far as I know it's a walker turner ta1180, from 1946. It has a funky throat plate, can't use a zero clearance insert. Got it all put back together last night and ripped through some 3" thick oak, no burning and and it didn't even bog down. Surprised me as its only 1 hp and I had an older 36t blade on it.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Nice. Have you thought of posting it on OWWM.org and vintagemachinery.org ?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

very very nice
    If there is not time to do it right the first time there is NO time to come back and fix it

Great job on a classy piece of machinery, Seems like the older motors were a bit underrated for HP. Enjoy.
    Mac

Very nice

Bob

Bravo.
    What size is the arbor?
    I have an old Darra James that I'm working on restoring (actually have two of them that will make 1 complete saw) and it has a 3/4" arbor
    (not the end of the world, just have to order blades from Forrest with a 3/4" bore).

Sweet. Definitely post on owwm, if you haven't already.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

How did you clean up the top?

I am doing a bandsaw restoration and rust removal from the top went ok. I used the scotch brite pad on a ROS trick. It worked ok, but there are still rust stains. I know it is cosmetic, and doesn't matter at this point, but if I can do better, now is the time to do it while it is taken apart.

Saw has a standard arbor. Haven't posted on owwm, need to resize my pictures before I can upload there.

I started with a razor scraper, then brown scotchbrite and mineral spirits with the ROS. That took care of 98% of it. Then I taped around the outside vertical edge leaving the tape stick above the table surface and poured on some evaporust and scrubbed some more. I just kept giving it a light scrub every 5 minutes or so while I was cleaning up some other parts. Just enough so that it never dried on the surface. Did that for an hour or so and was pretty happy with the results. Still have he original machine marks and very few blemishes. The wings are just sheet metal and I'm not happy with them yet, I think I will eventually sand them more.

Sweet! I've got a WT 16" bandsaw to restore in my basement. Just need the gumption to go do it. engoy the find!

I hit my bandsaw table with some fine sandpaper on the ROS, dry, then wiped down with thinner and waxed.