Thread: Right tilt / left tilt table saw

Right tilt / left tilt table saw

I have a chance to pick up an older Delta Unisaw that will replace my Bosch contractor saw. I've been looking for a Unisaw for a while now. This one is in great shape and the price is right. Before I see it this weekend the owner did mention that it was a right tilt model - said that some people have preferences. My Bosch is a left tilt saw which is the only kind I've ever used.

I figure you get used to anything. Is there any reason to prefer one or the other?

As you stated, it's a matter of preference (aka opinion). There are pros and cons to each, but either way you'd be taking about 3 steps up the TS food chain. I've owned both and prefer left tilt, but I wouldn't let the tilt direction get in the way of the upgrade.

Right tilt bevels toward the fence on a standard bevel cut, which is considered less safe than if it beveled away from the fence. You can move the fence to the left of the blade for safer bevel cuts, but that makes it a non-standard operation, which is still not quite as safe as a bevel cut on a left tilt saw. On Left tilt saws the blade bevels away from the fence with the fence on the right of the blade (standard location), which is considered safer. The downside of a left tilt saw is that any changes in blade thickness will skew the zero reference on the tape measure because the left side of the blade registers on the right side of the flange (the same direction as the tape measure reads). This can be adjusted by recalibrating the cursor, always using blades of the same thickness, using shims as spacers, or just measuring by hand. Blade thickness changes make no difference with a right tilt saw because the right side of the blade registers against the left side of the flange, so changes in blade thickness don’t impact the tape measure. The arbor nut on a right tilt saw gets applied from the left side of the blade and uses a reverse thread orientation, which is typically done with your left hand. The arbor nut on a left tilt saw goes on from the right side (easy for right handers) and uses a normal thread orientation.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 10-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I feel that its kinda what ya learned first. Same with right vs; left blade circular saws. I have rt. tilt and rt. blade.
    I see the advantages of left tilt in some cuts, but since most ts. cuts are made with the blade at 90 degrees, and some say that there is limited space left of the blade on some LT saws, you'll have to decide what fits YOU best.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

posting deleted.
    Last edited by Joseph Tarantino; 10-18-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Scott gave the main differences; it's a matter of preference. To *me*, the difference of thickness of blades is so small (between 1/8" and a thin kerf at 3/32" if ever used) that it's worth having the fence always on the right side of the blade including for bevel cuts and have larger capacity (vs. fence on the left). But I have had a right tilt saw and used it for years...

I like right tilt with a long enough fence bar left to allow for bevel cuts using the left side. I do it so seldom and am used to ripping on the right and not screwing up the tape for dados. Dave

Thanks for the quick replies, Scott and all - really useful opinions, as always around here. In my head, this one is already in my shop so I won't let a little tilt get in the way one way or another. I just wanted to get confirmation. And as you mention Bill, since 95% of my cuts are square I can realign my head easily enough when necessary.

Now, I just have to sell the Bosch so my wife won't raise her eyebrows at me anymore. Maybe you've heard this one before - "But you already have a table saw. Why do you need a different one?" I'm glad you all understand.

I don't think I can provide a link to another forum, but if you search for "Stand off beveling fence" you will find a very safe technique for cutting bevels on a right tilt saw.

I used to have right-tilt. I currently have left-tilt. Six of one, half dozen of the other. The differences are pretty minor most of the time. Left-tilt is advertised as safer for bevel cuts. I have found that it is true about half the time for me and argues in favor of the right-tilt the other half of the time. It depends on which side of the material needs to be up/down, and whether a large panel (which needs the support from the right table extension) needs to be on one side or the other.

I suppse I slightly prefer left-tilt if given the option, all other things equal. But I certainly wouldn't pass on a deal on a good saw because of the tilt direction. It just doesn't matter very much unless you do a particular bevel cut very often.

I have used a RT Unisaw and a LT Powermatic 66 for all 42 years of my teaching career. When I bought my personal saw, I purchased the LT. Why? I got the best deal on it.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I grew up on a right tilt. Two years ago I got a saw with a riving knife. It happens to be a left tilt. 99% or the time I don't notice.

My experience is the same but with left hand tilt. Upgraded to a saw with right tilt and didn't like it as well but it was never a problem.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I personally wouldn't buy anything but a left tilt.

I kept my Bosch when I bought my Unisaw. A Unisaw is not portable the Bosch is. I can take the Bosch into the house & trim laminate floor, rip furring strips to even out a 100 year old stud wall in prep for drywall, & I can take it to my father in-laws to help him with his projects. I also use my Bosch for bevel cuts since I have an Incra fence on the Unisaw it is not as easy to set up a right of fence cut.
    Now if you are super short on room then you have a tougher argument.

Don.
    Last edited by Don Sundberg; 10-20-2012 at 8:29 AM. Reason: spelling

One of each is my solution. Don't really have a preference.

Larry