Thread: Cleaning Drum Sander Strips

Cleaning Drum Sander Strips

When the abrasive strips on my 25" drum sander get hogged up such that the big eraser won't clean them, I usually soak them in a solvent for a while and then wire brush them clean. However, I'd like to soften and remove several burned resin rings across the drum without removing the strips. Perhaps some type of gel cleaner or solvent. Any experiences out there?
    Thanks.

I'd love to know the answer to this. I just throw mine out.

C

I have used a brass brush and solvent to clean this type problem. I will never run pine with knots again.

Rick Potter

I have had some success with Blade and Bit cleaner--the stuff made for cleaning saw blades. (It's the same resin build-up). I put some plastic down on the feed belt to contain the mess, spray it on, wait, then hit it with a brass brush.

Thanks for the Blade and Bit cleaner with brass brush tip.
    And ditto for never running pine through the drum sander again. Did that first thing after I got my sander and had to toss the front sanding strip out due to the pitch build-up that was impossible to remove.

A strong mixture of simple green. Let the sandpaper soak overnight in the brew, take a brass brush to the sandpaper, and they will be like new.

I now that this isn't really an answer, but I could never make the extra time spent cleaning belts pencil out. Scrubbing pitch streaks off still left me with uneven sanded surfaces, and soaking made my abrasive curl at the edges, which caused overlap problems as the belt stretched some more. Then the ceaned belts didn't cut as well because the grit was worn down from use. My best results came from being careful with how I used it, running any glue lines at as big a diagonal as possible, small increments, etc. with fresh wraps when the old ones were toast.
    JR

This is Unconfirmed!

An acquaintance has told me he uses his pressure washer on of 'good' clothed back sanding medium. He claims good results cleaning and then reusing the material. I personally have not yet tried to do so, but I am getting tired of throwing good money away buying replacement sanding medium.
    Has anyone else tried this? What success have you had?
    Ira

I've had some luck taking the strips off and bending them a little the other direction to flake off the burn and then use a utility knife to get what is left off. The belts are never really the same again as the grit is pretty well gone under the burn. Keeping the wrap tight, using the eraser every few boards, and taking light passes helps avoid the problem. Beats solving it. Dave

Certainly the best solution to this problem is avoiding it in the first place as David suggested. That being said, the problem of burning will occur even under the best of circumstances and efforts to avoid it. I have tried numerous techniques to clean these belts, and they are never "as good as new." I have used one product that does do a very good job, a product called "Charlie's Soap" that Rick at The Woodworking Source in Mooresville, NC sells. Just spray it on the belt, wait a few minutes, hose it off, let it dry, and all of the resin, burning, etc. is gone. I did my own unscientific side by side test between this product and full strength Simple Green, and there was no comparison. The Charlie's soap easily outperformed the Simple Green. The stuff is totally non toxic, so it is safe to use. If anyone is interested, give Rick a call for more information.

I would like to add that I have nothing to gain here, just a customer who is very satisfied with the product.

Hope this helps.

Matt