Thread: Woodturning Tool Sharpening

Woodturning Tool Sharpening

I am in need of a sharpening system for my bowl gouges. I have a high speed bench grinder but an hesitant to use it. I cant seem to find a low cost, low speed bench grinder for sharpening my tools. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Woodcrafts slow speed bench grinder is a great option. Also highly recomend Oneways Wolverine system for bowl gouges.

I use the Woodcraft slow speed 8" grinder with Wolverine sharpening system now, but I started with just my high speed 6" grinder. It'll work but I was not any good at freehand sharpening and screwed up the angles on my tools. Don't be afraid to use what you have but just be careful to not to get your tools too hot. When you can, I would suggest a Woodcraft grinder with the white fine grit wheels and the Wolverine system when they have one of their sales if possible, you will like it.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

buy and watch Kirk DeHeer sharpening dvd from craft supplies

covers grinders, sharpening free hand and with wolvering system, jigs, specific tools from gouges, skews, chesils, etc

money well spent

I have the woodcraft SP grinder with the wolverine jig. Gives you consistant sharpening and quickly.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Not that long ago I purchased a new 8" VS Porter Cable grinder, new AO wheels and attached Wolverine system. Works wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gleason View Post
    I am in need of a sharpening system for my bowl gouges. I have a high speed bench grinder but an hesitant to use it. I cant seem to find a low cost, low speed bench grinder for sharpening my tools. Any suggestions?

Thanks

3400 rpm will work fine on high speed steel. a little bluing won't hurt the high speed steel. A clean true wheel is much more important than the speed.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for all the advise. My tools are HSS so if my current grinder will work OK all i need to get is the AO wheels and I should be all set. I picked up the Wolverine grinding system the other day. Thanks again!

As mentioned in the prior post, you are not ready to go until you have a wheel dresser for dressing the wheels you have on the machine.

You should check out the CBN wheels from D Way tools. Best wheels by far. A bit more expensive, but they are already spin balanced, and never need to be trued up or rebalanced, or cleaned. They will also last a life time.

http://www.d-waytools.com/

Optigrind and Cuttermaster are other manufacturers of this type of wheel.

robo hippy