Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huge Dilemma.....Ridgid Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    If you can find it, Michael Fortune wrote an excellent tutorial on how to tune up the Ridgid bandsaw. I recall reading it a few years ago. It's just a few simple steps/things that eliminate most, if not all, the things that cause the negative comments about the 14" Ridgid. Since you have to assemble the saw, it might be wise to go do any modifications now.
    FWIW - in the article I read, he (Michael Fortune) said the 14" Ridgid is his "go to" saw for 90% of his work.

Another FWIW - I feel you made the wise choice by getting what you need now to get going. Making sawdust is a whole lot more fun than scanning the web for endless hours searching for that elusive used machine.
    that was in october, 2006 issue of wood magazine. i didn't believe the article and emailed michael fortune. his reply is here:

"I absolutely stand by my opinion on the Rigid band saw. It is hard to tell if it is running it is so quiet and vibration free (if there is a radio playing). I can stand a nickel on edge.

Don't over tension it, use the blades suggested and beef up the platform. I have six bandsaws. I run an very well equipped workshop. Look at my web site www.michaelfortune.com , the most frequently used machine to make that furniture is the lowly bandsaw."

I had a contractor saw and the quality of my work coming off that isn't any different from my bigger cabinet saw. If the choice is between getting a contractor saw now and starting working with it vs getting a cabinet saw much later I'd say get the contractor saw. Surely a cabinet saw is better but it's much better to have a good saw to work with than waiting for a better saw.

3. Justin,

You in the Pittsburgh area? They had the same sale at Tanger Outlets is Washington PA. My wife and I took a look there and also noticed the 30% off sale. I was in the market for a jointer (I am also frequently up in the Williamsport area so I also have access to the Grizzly outlet). So it was either the Grizzly 6'' or Ridgid 6'' jointer. The 30% sale was the icing on the cake.

Indeed the jointer is heavy. I managed to take it out of my truck alone, not sure how I managed that.

Good luck.

-Kevin

@ Kevin - that's exactly where I went, about an hour away....

I had been saving, and after depleting my budget on the addition to my house to allow for the workshop, my original plan of a mecca to Grizzly to "load up" was starting to fade, and once I heard that the Outlet store was having a 30% off - couldnt pas it up.....

To all the others - new post in the Workshop forum with updated pics.