Thread: Reapplying oil to a used (dirty) handle?

Reapplying oil to a used (dirty) handle?

I made a set of garden tools to give as a gift last year and due to time constraints only had time to put one coat of tung oil on the handles (purpleheart) before gifting them. I intended to get them back later and apply 2 or 3 more coats and then buff them but it never happened. I have them back to apply some more finish after a year of use, but being garden tools they have a thin layer of dirt and dust on them. I'm not sure how to go about cleaning off the grime before applying more oil. I had thought about just applying more oil and wiping them clean but I wasn't sure if this would seal any dirt in there. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

I think I'd use a damp rag with water to remove any water soluble "gunk", then a damp rag with mineral spirits to remove any body oils. Then, after dry, reapply your tung oil.

Just the way I'd do it. YMMV.

Joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Warm soapy water and a light brushing to clean out the pores. After allowing to dry, resand, and then apply finish.

Murphy's Oil Soap, let dry overnight and refinish. Murphy's is a common wood soap product available everywhere and it is primarily used on hardwood flooring. Works very good and takes dirt right off wood.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

What Scott said.
    Regards,
    Dick

Your oil finish has some solvents in it, and it may remove some of the 'use stains'. Reminds me of a woman who called to ask how to remove beet stains from the inside of her wood bowl. They are there to stay. You could sand the handles down again, starting at 80 grit, but most of the stains have soaked in and set. Lighten them up a bit, probably, remove them, probably not. Sweat and dirt have a way of being rather permanent.

robo hippy

Found some Murphy's and mixed a weak solution and it seemed to take the dirt right off. I'll give them a week to dry out really well and then start applying a few coats of oil before taking them to the buffing wheel. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Aaron Buys; 10-20-2012 at 6:17 PM.