Thread: Conduit Size For 10g Wire?

Conduit Size For 10g Wire?

I have to install a 30A receptacle about 50' from the existing one and have a couple of questions. First, I'll be using 10g, stranded wire...right? Second, can I use 1/2" ridged conduit and if so, why can't I find a price for it on Home Depot's web site?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I have to install a 30A receptacle about 50' from the existing one and have a couple of questions. First, I'll be using 10g, stranded wire...right? Second, can I use 1/2" ridged conduit and if so, why can't I find a price for it on Home Depot's web site?
    Yes, 10g, which typically is stranded. For just the one circuit, 1/2" conduit is fine. $2 per 10ft.

Not that im an expert but i installed 3/4 emt for my 10g run of nmd90 as it was recommended to me.

I have run #10 wire, 240 volt in 1/2" emt also.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Joyce View Post
    Not that im an expert but i installed 3/4 emt for my 10g run of nmd90 as it was recommended to me.
    Sam,

I currently have three 250' coils NMD90 on the floor of in my shop awaiting installation. It is single strand so requires a larger conduit than multi-stranded cable of the same gauge since it is not as flexible.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Google conduit fill factor, all the information you need!

You are limited to 5 wires of #10 in 1/2" EMT regardless of stranded or not. I like solid because it is usually a bit cheaper and I only have one strand to mess with when trying to make connections.

They have 1/2" rigid on the HD site. $14.48 for a 10' length.