Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla Gloat...long

Update

My unofficial...official review....

I’ve had the Gorilla operating in my shop for almost two weeks now and all I can say is this unit really sucks…..and that is a Very good thing. I put together a webpage with a few images of my install and comments on the unit. If you woule like to see it, it’s http://www.picframer.ca/cyclone.htm

The Gorilla is located in a DC room I built, has a 7” main run of about 38 feet, with 6” branches reduced at the tools where necessary. I have three tools that create a lot of fine dust, miter saws (I do picture framing as a business so a lot of dust is generated here), a performax surface sander (almost all of my work is exotics or figured wood) and my son turns a lot at the wood lathe.

The unit easily captures any dust we have created with two gates open. I have now generated 6 bins of shavings and dust so I decided to blow the filter out to see what the air/dust separation was like, I haven’t had a cyclone in the past so I wasn’t sure what to expect, I had less than ½ a teaspoon of talc like dust…..pretty amazing. During this time we spent hours at the big dust generators (sanding/lathe) as I was curious how this all works.

The unit went together like a glove, the instructions are great, very easy to read, understand and follow. I personally opted to not use the mag switch and installed an X10. To me a remote is a huge benefit.

For the past few years I have been using 2 – 2 h.p. delta single stage collectors, they don’t hold a candle to a cyclone. Aside from the cyclone maintaing CFM performance (I found the high efficiency aftermarket bags, as they loaded, my CFM dropped a lot and I was forever cleaning them spreading dust through the shop) and there always seemed to be a small leak, evidence of this was the colored dust on the wall from woods like bloodwood and Padouk.

When I am now sanding, I open a 6” port close to the sanding area and leave the cyclone running, IMO it’s better than running my air filter although I will continue to run both. The air quality in my shop at the moment is like I have never experienced.

I have read a number of comments that appear to be a little off base based on my own experience and feedback from other across the country that have purchased the Gorilla.

Shipping: The unit comes in 5 boxes, via UPS and not on a pallet. It is probably the best packed unit I have purchased, professionally done and it arrived without a scratch. I have a ww buddy in California that also received his without a scratch.

Metal Used: Cyclone Gauge is 16, the motor mounting plate is 11 gauge, I can’t imagine requiring heavier metal and I do have experience working with sheet metal....another hobby

Clean Out: There have been comments you have to remove the filter and blow it out, which could place harmful dust into your shop, this is not true, you blow it out with the filter attached to the cyclone, wait a few moments and remove the sealed bottom filter cover, dump the cover and that is basically it.

Shipping: From reading Oneida’s site shipping on the Gorilla costs $138 for points east of the MI river, $188 for points west. In my opinion from receiving equipment shipped UPS makes up in convenience as compared to a Freight delivery.

Availability: I spoke with Oneida yesterday as I have a fellow woodworker who would like to order their Gorilla. They are still sending out units with the Baldor motor. However they will not guarantee that anyone will get the Baldor motor. The Gorilla will have an alternate motor but for the time being they are still substituting and will be for at least a little while. They have the product however Jeffery who handled my order told me they are overwhelmed with orders, which does not surprise me. Jeff did say they are placing more of their resources on Gorilla orders and shipments, best idea is to give them a call, they are excellent folks to deal with, in my experience.

I noticed Oneida added a FAQ page yesterday for folks wanting to know the difference between the commercial unit and the Gorilla, may be worth a read.

Thanks and have a Great Weekend!

Andy

Thanks for your experienced comments, Andy. Looks like a winner!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for your review Andy. The Gorilla will be on my list to place in my new shop. Thanks again!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I ordered a Gorilla a couple weeks ago and it arrived two days ago with a Baldor motor. I am in the process of installing it and so far I would agree with everything Andy has said.

The packaging and quality of the unit are both AAA. And Heather who I have worked with at Oneida has been great in the ordering process and in answering my questions since delivery.

Good review Andy!

Hi Andy, Congrats on the Oneida DC purchase and installation. Very nice review. Oneida has really stepped up to the plate with this DC.
    I'd like them to just offer either the Baldor or Leeson motor and forgot about the asian import motors that they may use later. The USA Baldor gives them an edge.
    take care,
    John

Grizzly just anounced that it was lowering it's price on the 2 hp version of their new Cyclone to $745.00. They say they were able to renegotiate with the manufacturer based on quanity ordering. You would think that everything they ordered was done in large quantities. Somethin smells fishy. This move may very well help them make a name in the Cyclone market, but I hate it when companie bend the truth to make consumers think they are getting some great deal.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    Grizzly just anounced that it was lowering it's price on the 2 hp version of their new Cyclone to $745.00. They say they were able to renegotiate with the manufacturer based on quanity ordering. You would think that everything they ordered was done in large quantities. Somethin smells fishy. This move may very well help them make a name in the Cyclone market, but I hate it when companie bend the truth to make consumers think they are getting some great deal.
    Chris
    It seems they have changed the price a number of times. I suspect they are getting concerned a little as Oneida really stepped up to the plate and from what I have been told are overwhelmed with orders.....Grizzly's product is still somewhere at sea and every day that goes by means reduced sales.

It also makes me wonder about the quality of the unit, if they can keep dropping the price....I know how that works, profit still has to be there, I would worry about the factory that is putting them together.

Only time will tell and a 3rd party review. I can say however, I would buy the Oneida again in a second even if it did cost a bit more. The level of service I have received from their staff is outstanding and I can't say enough about how pleased I am with the performance compared to what I had.

Andy

I agree with you Andy. I think Grizzly figured they were going to crush the market with their cheaper product and Oneida put a wrinkle in that plan. I really like my Gorilla as I have just about finished assembly. I finally wired the motor and the mag switch yesterday and hope to get it up on the wall soon.Chris

Oneida vs. Grizzly, Grizzly vs. Oneida, it's just good old fashioned free market competition.

Grizzly and Onieda both want your $$; trade negotiations and price drops, with or without a Baldor motor, free ducting service, etc... it's all marketing, and it's all good. Buy what you want and be happy you have choices. God bless America.

Now go enjoy Coke (or a Pepsi if you prefer).
    Last edited by Mike Monroe; 05-06-2005 at 1:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Everyone,
    I just placed my order for the Gorilla yesterday (05/05/05 Man, when will that happen again? I guess next year on June 6th huh) and because of demand, the paper filter that normally ships with the Gorilla is now on back order. So I "had" to upgrade to the polyester filter (+$67) My sales rep, Rich, said he could not guarentee that I would get the Baldor motor, but he also said that it was highly likely that I would. He also told me that the only difference between the 2hp commercial and the Gorilla was the motor and the filter, (and of course the color). So if you upgrade the filter and order it now, you should get the commercial version and save about $200 or more. I am really looking forward to getting this thing installed an running. I am also looking forward to working with them to design the ductwork system. this is going to be great!!!!!!

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry, I've been dealing with Rich for a long time...great fellow. He's the one who arranged for my detailed tour of the facility when I picked up my system last year, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I must say that Oneida has been a great company to work with and they offer a solid well manufactured product. And their customer service has been great. Even if I had not received a Baldor motor I would still be completely satisfied. It's nice working with a quality company that sells a quality product. It's funny, the old adage of "Customer Service, Quality or Price.. You can only have two" does not seem to apply in this situation. I definitely think I came out a winner on this deal.

Chris

Smile

After reading Larry's post, I called Heather at Oneida and asked about my order status. She said that the Gorilla paper filters should be in by mid to end of next week. Figuring that the sooner my unit got built increased my chances of getting the Baldor motor, I had "no choice" but to upgrade to the commercial filter. I think this is probably a good move in the long run. I can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Everyone,
    I just placed my order for the Gorilla yesterday (05/05/05 Man, when will that happen again? I guess next year on June 6th huh) and because of demand, the paper filter that normally ships with the Gorilla is now on back order. So I "had" to upgrade to the polyester filter (+$67) My sales rep, Rich, said he could not guarentee that I would get the Baldor motor, but he also said that it was highly likely that I would. He also told me that the only difference between the 2hp commercial and the Gorilla was the motor and the filter, (and of course the color). So if you upgrade the filter and order it now, you should get the commercial version and save about $200 or more. I am really looking forward to getting this thing installed an running. I am also looking forward to working with them to design the ductwork system. this is going to be great!!!!!!

Larry

Talking cyclone

Congrate on the new tool. How much did it cost not counting freight.What size motor? Mike

Congratulations Andy! Except for the colour, and the fact that it has the old style mounting brackets, it sure looks like my Oneida 2hp Commercial.

What is the horse power?

Go ahead and make me feal bad. How much less is this unit than the 2hp Commercial?