Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Umm, I blame George

Umm, I blame George

OK, so all of this talk about the decline of Nicholson post thier move to Mexico must have taken effect on me. I was in Highland Woodworking today to use my 'one day only, one item only' coupon. After I had selected my item (Easy Wood Rougher), I was wandering around (mistake 1) waiting for my buddy to make his pick. Of course, I had sworn to my better half that I was only getting the 'One Tool I Could not Live Without... Today', so I was not paying too much attention to all the other goodies in the store.

I happen to pass by the files, and am bemoaning to my buddy how all the guys online are saying the new nicholsons aren't up to snuff. Right as I say this, I see the telltale 'Made in the USA' logo on the corner of a few files... I start to look at all of the stacks of files on the wall, and notice that theres a few of the 'Made in USA' versions at the back of every row. Something took ahold of me, and I proceed to basically dismantle thier wall display, and snarf up 14 NOS Nicholsons. Single cuts, Double Cuts, Round, you name it - everything I could find.

I come home and try to sneak past the presence of My Accountant, heading by the front door and making a beeline for the shop. This will be known as 'Mistake 2', in the history books. I hear a not-so-sweet 'sweetie?' come out the back door as I'm rounding the bend. I stop mid-flight, and turn to face my doom. The conversation I recall went something like this...

Her: How Was the Tool Store?
    Me: OK.
    Her: Did you just buy the one ... thingie?
    Me: I just bought the one big thingie...
    Her: hmmmm. What else did you buy?
    Me: 14 Files.
    Her: Why?
    Me: Because George said the new ones were crap and I should buy the ones that were made in the US.
    Her: Who is George?
    Me: He is very wise in the way of files.
    Her: hmmmm. Why do you need 14 files?
    Me: ....To file things.

Things get a little hazy here, I think there were some questions along the line of whether or not Georges recommendation for jumping off a bridge would also be followed. In my infinite stupidity, I may have answered 'Is there a Oneway Lathe at the bottom?'

I plan to fix this whole mess, once allowed to re-enter my home. In the meantime, George if you get a call from an angry half German, half-Native American Lady with two twins yelling in the background, if you could just take this one for the team, I would much appreciate it.

Nicely played Chris.

lol

Yes, I was actually laughing out loud when I read this, but only because I've been in similar predicaments.

This is why SWMBO does not allow me to go to tool stores alone anymore. Though she has made the mistake of telling me when we go to Maine next year she wants to let me go to Lie-Nielsen.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I take full responsibility.

Think about this one, George.

Half German, Half Native American. With twins.

Chris, next time tell her that a file thingie is much cheaper than the one big thingie. Then be quiet and keep heading downstairs.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I dunno, Gary... I've always believed that when you put your foot in your mouth, stop talking. Once you get past the knee it gets painful!! DAMHIK!!

Seriously though I had a similar experience when I went into my local toy store for a pneumatic nailer for a HD rolling wood storage rack I was building and ran into the Nicolson display on an endcap. I didn't end up with 14 files but did get 4 or 5, including some large ones I'd been looking for.

George, you're a bad influence here.. and be PROUD of it!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    My wife got mad at me recently and complained about me spending money on planes. The last one I bought was a bit rough with its lateral lever snapped off of the frog. It didn't seem to resister for her that it was a #8 that only put me out $5.40 with tax.

Maybe I should start blaming someone else.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

LOL, Chris, you should have had me send the saws to a different address. Hide them for a while and then one day say, " Oh, I have had those for a long time" Did you remember to say there was a great discount sale on those files? Poor grasshopper. One must learn the ways of the woodworker.

LOL.

The trick for me is to always be building or planning to build something for my wife. Those files should have been explained as necessary for the bookshelf/cabinet/jewelry box/drawer repair you're working on for her.

My wife is no fool, and she understands the importance of good tools.

Chris, you should just do what I have always done ... buy them for your wife. Then borrow them as needed. My wife has an assortment of handplanes and windsurfers and ... oh all sorts of things she owns but does not use. I'm really very thoughtful.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm starting to wonder if I should be worried that my wife *doesn't* mind at all when I come home with more tools.

I've also been picking up the American made Nicholsons when I see them; wish I would stumble upon some half rounds or rounds, though.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    I think most of our wives tolerate our pastime because they know where to find us when they need to. The shop is more convenient than the golf course.

Mine sometimes shakes her head, but never complains. Of course I didn't complain when she bought her sewing machine that is computer contrilled and does quilting and embroidy work.

You have got to use psychology when it comes to dealing with tools or workshop expenditure. It goes something like this,

HER: how much will it cost?

YOU: Think of a number and double it

HER: Goes nuts and starts yelling

YOU: Dear, I will try and keep it down as much as I can knowing full well that you were never going to spend that much anyway.

You then bring it home and declare you found a bargain for half price and she is happy as women love a bargain.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Chris, I like your idea.

Yes,I had an apprentice years ago who worked in the Musical Instrument Maker's Shop. He kept "buying" things for his wife. He bought her a lute(he was a classical guitarist,she played nothing). Then,he bought her a percussion black powder pistol repro. I made a case for it. I'm sure she never used either!!