Thread: scrapping a car

scrapping a car

Hi all

it's time for my wife's car, a 95 mercury mystique, to go to the scrapper. I haven't scrapped a car before.

I'm planning to remove the battery to use in a SE-rusting e lectrolysis bath for my old tools. I'm also going to remove the steering wheel, as it was my wife's first car and she's attached to it.

Are there any other pieces that are easy/quick to remove before scrapping? I'm thinking in terms of sheet metal, angle iron, stuff that I could use around the shop.

I'm not a metal worker but I like to make the odd thing here and there for my woodworking tools (brackets, mounts, lathe tools etc).

Thanks for your advice,

Lee

You won't find much usable metal on a car--everything is sheet metal stamped to a specific shape.

I wouldn't remove that steering wheel if you don't know what you are doing. Iirc it has an airbag.

I wouldn't even save the battery for electrolysis. Use the cash you should get for scrap metal value and buy a cheap charger for electrolysis.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Might see if the scrapper would be willing to get the SW off for me.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Alkureishi View Post
    Ok, thanks for the advice. Might see if the scrapper would be willing to get the SW off for me.

Lee
    Wheel rims make excellent grinder/vise stand bases, hose hangers, etc.
    Mick

The jack is handy for installing cabinets, acting as a 3rd hand to hold and position things, especially in pairs.

If it's got a unused spare tire, or donut They can be sold for a few bucks.. All the spare change laying on the floor under the seats! How much gas is in the tank? Pull the fuses they can always come in handy. Wheel disks? Tail light lenses? Headlight bulbs? All stuff that can be used on other cars, or sold for additional profit.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it