Thread: Any Guesses

Any Guesses

I have a fair quantity of this unknown (to me) wood.

I gathered if from a Green House construction site about 15 years ago and recently decide to try to spin some. This wood was the bottom sections of narrow pallets that I believe came from Holland and I think was used to ship the glass.

It is quite heavy, has very little aroma and takes details really well! I know it is not Elm as I did collect some Dutch Elm at the same time. The pieces are about 3" square and between 12 and 18 inches long. They did have nails in them and as a result I have to work between the old nail holes or trim the pieces to about 2" square to use them.

Here are a couple of 'phone' photos of the mystery wood.
    IMG_1090.jpgIMG_1094.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

For lack of anything of substance...cherry!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Eurowood?

Looks like it could be Lyptus or some other eucalyptus (or bybrid thereof) to me, but I'm sure there are other similar enough woods that I wouldn't bet a lot of money on it. Some of the eucalytp I've used has been somewhat brittle, lyptus especially so

Thanks Ryan. I think you nailed it. It looks to me to be Lyptus.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

My vote is also for lyptus.

I have gotten some pretty nice pieces from pallets, although nothing recently. The word must be out!!
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Interesting start on your turning, what will be the end product ?

HI Don.
    Recognize anything here?
    IMG_1110.jpg
    Sorry about the phone photo . . . .
    Pete

My first thought was Cherry too, but since you mentioned that it was heavy, could it be Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry)? Since you mentioned it was imported -- just a thought.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

i have gotten some pallets that were mahogany. probably fillipino mahogany
    just a guess

In my "never to be humble opinion" it is not Cherry. Cherry has very small pores, and this example has very prominent open pores.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Well, the Lyptus is a hybrid that Weyerhauser developed, and last I heard, it was grown only in Brazil. The stuff I got seemed to have bigger growth rings. It was rather brittle, and tended to chip a bit, but would polish out nicely. There are a number of 'mahogany' woods that are that color and not mahogany at all. I think apitong is one type, and is an eastern Asia wood, and there are a number of varieties of it out there. Pallet wood for sure.

robo hippy

Greetings. A couple of things.
    1. It definitely is not Cherry, or at least any Cherry I ever came across in my flatwork days or from local trees that I have turned.
    2. By my calculations it weighs between 58-61 lb a cubic foot
    3. I doubt that it is a wood from South America because as I said it was found on a Glass House Construction site here in Delta BC. I'm pretty sure that the glass was from Holland but again I could be wrong there as well. I suppose the crates could have been made in South America and shipped to Holland but this seems unlikely to me.
    It does chip when I get agressive but cuts really clean with a sharp detail gouge or skew. Many of the blocks I have do have cracks and the wood does seem really brittle. I broke one of the thin finials I was making and it snapped almost like plastic. Finishes great with WTF or just burnishing. There are small open pores. When I turn it aggressively it gives off a strange (to me) smell but when worked with light bevel riding cuts I detect no odour.
    Still thinking it could be Lyptus and Jatoba is another option but I do have some flooring that I think is Jatoba (a teak copy) that doesn't appear the same and is not as nice finished.
    I guess the jury is still out.

Appreciate all the input, thanks!!
    Pete