Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy...

To buy or not to buy...

I have a Jet contractor saw. About a year ago, I started coveting a cabinet saw to replace it. I resisted the urge to spend the money and decided what I was using was good enough. Instead of buying a new saw, I upgraded the fence to a Biesemeyer, extended the table and built a cabinet using plans from one Wood magazine (I think).

A few weeks ago, I had a pretty good kickback while using the saw. It knocked the blade way out of alignment. I was able to re-align the blade and start using the saw again. Everything was fine until I tilted the blade to 45 degrees. I felt the saw bind. When I moved it back to 90 degress, the blade was misaligned again by over 1/8".

I called Jet. The guy told me he would fax me some instructions that were not in the manual that would fix things right up. He faxed a photocopy of a magazine article that showed how to clean and lube the saw. Not much help... I messed with the thing for a day and a half but no joy.

I gave up and decided it was time to buy the cabinet saw. Either a Grizzly or a Jet.

I searched around and ended up ordering a Jet 3HP left-tilt with the 50" fence, table and mobile base (708663MBK) from Amazon because they offered free shipping and a $25 discount for $1499. I also had $100 in gift certificates squirrled away from Christmas and other occasions.

The comparable Grizzly G1023SLX was $1295, no mobile base and cost $78 for shipping. Since the Jet matches most of my other machines, I went that direction.

The contractor saw thing continued to eat at me because I *had* to figure out the problem causing the mis-alignment. So, on Friday evening I took it apart. I flipped it upside-down and started checking things out. I found that the front and rear trunnion brackets had become mis-aligned which caused the binding that threw the saw blade out of alignment when I tilted the blade. The problem is fixed and I think the saw is better than it ever was...

Now, my dilema. The new saw has not shipped yet. I think this a test of some sort... Do I cancel the order for the new saw? Or... Do I pretend that the saw that has always been good enough isn't quite good enough anymore and instruct my kids to take up postions at the end of the street to watch for the truck?

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Kevin, do not...I repeat: Do NOT miss the opportunity to move up to a cabinet saw! In the long run, you'll end up regretting it if you do! Now that the contractor saw is back in prime shape, you'll get more $$$ for it when you sell it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

you already made the decision, never doubt yourself. there will be such a difference in those 2 saws, you'll never go back. just make the contractor saw a dedicated dado blade saw, problem solved.

sascha

Go with the cabinet saw. You won't be sorry.

Mark

Go Cabinet and you won't go back!
    ex-contractor saw owner.

Wrong question to the wrong folks. It's like one kid asking another if he should buy a bigger bar of choclate? If you have the money, go for it.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I'll stick my neck out and vote no for a hobbyist. I have a nice Delta contractor saw and don't plan to upgrade it. I layed out a long term plan for my wife that includes replacing the last of my entry level machines, but didn't include the saw. I have a good fence system (biesemeyer) and other accessories like an Exactor sliding table, Biesemeyer guard, and a huge outfeed table that have allowed me to do anything I've wanted. Sure it is harder to align, but how often do you need to do that? Now that you know how, it will be even easier. I enclosed the base of my saw, and with a 6" DC connection to the bottom and a small shop vac on the blade guard , very little debris gets loose, so the DC argument is out for me as well.

For the money you've spent, you could buy a Grizzly 8" jointer AND 15" planer, which would be a lot more bang for the buck, IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Hey, you already have the money spent. The only thing I would consider is changing the order to a band saw or jointer or planer or all of the above, but Don't just cancel the order!!!! But if it were me, I'd just get the new saw.
    You won't be sorry!!!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi
    Wrong question to the wrong folks. It's like one kid asking another if he should buy a bigger bar of choclate? If you have the money, go for it.
    Why do you think I posted the message here? I knew I could count on you guys would talk me into a bigger chocolate bar.

I already have a shop full of nice tools including those mentioned in other posts. (15" planer, drum sander, jointer, bandsaw, shaper, moulder, RAS, etc.) The dilema (some of you may recall from another of my posts) is SWMBO and I are building a new house this summer. I wonder if the money conserved by not buying the cabinet saw would be better spent on house stuff. What is the real advantage to the cabinet saw over the upgraded contractor saw?

-Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Post; 04-18-2005 at 6:03 PM.
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

By all means, keep the cabinet saw and sell the contractor. End of dilema.

Two main answers to your last question. Power and accuracy. Secondary is size and stability.

You won't be sorry with the Jet cabinet saw.

You will be able to build quicker, better, more accurate, things for the house with the cabinet, go for it.

Think of all the great furniture you can build for you new house. Send the kids to the ends of the street.

Richard

Kevin, let me pile on. First, don't pay any attention to Matt, I don't know who let him in anyway Heck, you've already emotionally spent the money for the new saw. I think changing your mind could cause some severe psychological damage which will take many hours and $$$ to get corrected. $1500 is cheap for preventive medicine.
    Dennis