Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Roubo is Complete

My Roubo is Complete

No sooner did I start developing an affection for hand planes did I realize I'd benefit from a proper, heavy workbench to use them on. Christopher Schwarz Workbench book along with the many threads about the bench inspired me to get started sooner than later. I really wanted to use the Benchcrafted hardware yet I opted to save the money and bought LV screws for the leg vise and homemade wagon vise. I did however purchase the Benchcrafted glide rollers for the leg vise, and I'm glad I did. I was determined to have a split top however right before I began laminating the top I decided to go for the solid top. My main desire for the split top was the fancy tool rest in the middle which in the end didn't seem important enough in the long run. I satisfied my desire for a tool rest as you'll see on one of my end caps. The lumber is SYP and the leg vise, dead man, end caps and roller glides were made from Walnut that grandpa cut down about 40 years ago. It was a fun project, very satisfying and I learned a lot. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0045.jpgIMG_0051.jpgIMG_0052 - Copy.jpg

Here is my wagon vise, and the opposite end cap I dadoed out enough space to hold some of my bench tools and even put a groove on the end to hold pencils.

IMG_0047.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0060.jpg

For once I am speechless. Great Job is not adequate.

Did you drill and tap the pine for the rollers as Benchcrafted suggests? If so, any tricks?

Very nice bench, Joey. I like your tool holder on the end. Paul

Very nicely done Joey. You will be amazed how nice it is to work on a good bench.
    Ancora Yacht Service

Very nice build. I just finished a Roubo in SYP with a red oak chop and Benchcrafted hardware. I started out planning on a solid top but as the build progressed I switched to a split top, mostly because I didn't really have anyone I could rely on to help handle a 9'X2', 4 1/4" thick chunk of SYP :-).

BTW, yours is much prettier than mine but every time I belly up to the homely old gal it's love all over again. Sometimes I will just pull up a chair, a cup of tea and just set and look. I expect your experience is the same, a good bench will do that to you.

That is just lovely Joey. Very well done!!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That bench will make you smile every time you walk into your shop.
    Well done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Did you drill and tap the pine for the rollers as Benchcrafted suggests? If so, any tricks?
    Yep, I drilled and tapped into the pine, first time I ever done it, and was anxious, tested on some scrap. Held up well so far, just hope I don't have to adjust much.

You said it Ken. I'll sit and stare at the bench, turn the vises for the heck of it, pick up the same tool over and over just to look at it. Wife thought I was crazy but I think she's starting to understand.

A beautiful example of what can be done big box lumber yard material and fine craftsmanship, just lovely...

Joey, Groovy pencil holder.
    That's a smart detail that I expect to see copied frequently and with pleasure.
    Super bench and your execution of the tool caddy end cap is inspired.
    Roubo ala Chavez. Tres Bueno!

Blog Entries
    Lovely bench. Almost too nice to mess up by using it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I *love* the tool holder in the end cap. And the bench as a whole is gorgeous.

Nicely done Joey - it's truly hard to avoid the need for a good bench. Am on a similar path - Roubo with DIY wagon and leg vises...

ian