Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed Rock versus Bailey Planes

Bed Rock versus Bailey Planes

I just picked up my first Bed Rock plane (no bragging rights on the price -- I'm not going to say what I paid because I'm sure I paid too much!). And I'm wondering -- are Bed Rocks really better than Bailey's? If so, precisely why?

Mike Smith
    Michael Ray Smith

I seem to remember Bedrock was Stanley's higher end offering, and Bailey was the name of the guy that Stanley swiped a later design from.

Other than (I believe) a little more attention to machining detail, I'm not really sure of a difference, per se. I've used both, and I honestly couldn't tell you a difference. The old Bed Rock jointer I have doesn't have a few of the screws in the frog like my Baileys do (I think), and the design is slightly different (instead of smoothly curving sides, the sides plateau, stuff like that).

In my humble (and hickory reducing) opinion, neither are bad planes, and with a little TLC, neither plane is better than the other. If there is a difference, it's completely out of my league.

This might have some info for ya: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan15.htm
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

As I understand it (not having a Bedrock), the design of the frog/sole mating surface in a Bedrock is supposed to keep the frog and blade bedded to the sole with more surface area as the frog is adjusted, making a more stable and chatter-free blade. At least moreso than a standard Bailey design. From reading comments on Patrick Leach's site and various woodworking forums, most people say it really doesn't make a noticeable difference in the planes' performance. It's probably easier to adjust and fettle, maybe stays within tolerances better.

Karl

6 of one, half dozen of the other. The Bedrock is slightly easier to adjust the mouth opening, but how often do you do that? The Bedrocks are nice planes, for sure, but I've never understood the lust for them. Baileys work just fine too.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

The Bedrocks are significantly differnt in the frog to bed connection. Arguably, this makes for a higher quality - more stable tool. It's a good design, but the differences in use are not really noticable to me. For details check out Patricks Leach's Stanley Blood and Gore: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan15.htm

I also don't notice any difference in actual use. Once a frog is set on a plane, you rarely move it, so aside from that the difference would have to be how solid the plane feels in use, and a bailey plane that's tightened down everywhere is already solid.

Your evidence of whether or not bedrocks are measurably superior is in the sales numbers of bailey planes vs. bedrocks.

(I still keep one of the bedrocks that i got, anyway).

I've sold every Bedrock I've ever owned. They are worth more to other people than they are to me.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

From reading forums, I had the impression that Bedrocks were all-around better.
    Paul Sellers has been advocating something of a contrarian position -- preferring the lighter Bailey plane:
    http://paulsellers.com/2012/09/buyin...othing-planes/
    His lament has been that we don't currently have a source for well-made Bailey planes, with the consolation that there is a goodly supply on ebay.

That said, keep your new plane sharp, get to know it, and enjoy!

Matt

I'd say that the main advantage of a Bed Rock lies with its ability to adjust the mouth size without having to remove the blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, do you agree with the other posters that this in practicality isn't such a 'have-to-have'?

Hi Prashun

I think that the difference in performance between an equally tuned Bed Rock and Bailey of the same vintage is probably nil. The mouth adjustment, although nice to have, is not a big deal since one does not re-set the mouth of a plane, with the exception of a smoother.

Part of the attraction of a Bed Rock lies in the fact that it is perceived to be better. It does not hurt that LN based their design on it (although LN do a lot more than simply use the Bed Rock design to improve performance). Overall the Bed Rock is a better design than the Bailey, however the planes are not optimised for interlocked and figured woods (although they can be made to work reasonably well by a skilled user), so this design difference is unlikely to be realised.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks, All. This thread was enlightening.

Blog Entries
    A Bedrock type study is available at:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/brtypes.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I've sold every Bedrock I've ever owned. They are worth more to other people than they are to me.
    Same for me.

The Bedrock design has the mating surface between the frog and the base of the plane fully machined. This produces a much larger mating surface between the frog and the base. In theory, this can eliminate resonate vibrations in the plane while working.

The Stanley Bedrock was introduced in 1895. Soon after this, the Stanley Bailey plains underwent a modification that made the union of the frog and base a bit more secure.

Like Zach, All of my Bedrocks have been sold to people willing to may more for them than me.

I do not like the "flat top" look of the later Bedrocks.

IMO, there is the slightest difference in the feel/feedback between Bailey and Bedrock planes in my experience.

There is also a difference in feel/feedback between wood bodied planes and iron bodied planes.

It is all in the eye of the beholder.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I feel pretty much the same way about it, I think I had 3 at one time and I keep one for novelty (plus I got a screaming deal on the one I kept).

My two favorite smoothers at this point were $11 and $20, respectively.

I have seen Graham Blackburn do a demo at a show and praise the bedrock design for ease of adjusting. I have also seen Paul Sellers at a show praise the baileys for lightness and he says they are just as good with the original blade and all. So I think it is just personal preference. If you move the adjustments allot get two baileys and set them differently for the price of a bedrock and use the leftover money for beer ...