Thread: which compessor for RO sanding?

which compessor for RO sanding?

I am in the market for a new compressor primarily to be used for sanding with my Grex RO sander.
    I was looking at the Rolair model V5180K30. 80 gallon, 5 hp.
    Don't want it to be over-kill, but still want enough compessor to do whatever comes up and not have it be running constantly. Want to buy this once! Any suggestions welcome.

An automotive DA sander would probably empty that tank enough to cycle the compressor in about 3 minutes. Then it's just a question of whether the pump is faster than the sander. Check the SCFM rating of the sander against that of the compressor at the pressure you need. Many compressor manufacturers overstate the airflow a little. I don't know about Rolair or Grex.

I think you can never have too much air. The time between compressor cycles is heavenly. You may want to consider a separate room for the compressor, but be sure to make it large enough for the cooling air requirements. Mine requires 18" of free space on all 4 sides. Good luck Michael.

Have you considered an electric ROS Michael? I use a Mutabo...about $100 so it's cheaper than a compressor, and really wouldn't trade it! Of course I have a PC pancake so a kitchen trashcan would be an improvement! Take a look.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ginsberg View Post
    I am in the market for a new compressor primarily to be used for sanding with my Grex RO sander.
    I was looking at the Rolair model V5180K30. 80 gallon, 5 hp.
    Don't want it to be over-kill, but still want enough compressor to do whatever comes up and not have it be running constantly. Want to buy this once! Any suggestions welcome.
    IMO you're looking @ the right size (2-stage, 5HP range). Looking @ the specs it doesn't look like it's rated for continuous duty? I'd be concerned about that given your usage model and the fact that an Ingersol-Rand can be had for about the same price. FWIW, I'd pick the IR over the consumer-line Quincy.

That's a big investment to make to run a sander. It's not just the compressor. You will also need a regulator and water trap. Mine is set up with automatic blow off for the tank. Without that you will need to manually drain the tank when you are running hard. You should run copper lines with water traps and valves with quick release. If you only plan to sand bowls you can buy an assortment of electric sanders. By the way, an ROS is just another tool in your sanding arsenal. It won't replace your rotary sanders. The ROS is great to remove deep scratches but not for your final sanding in my opinion.
    faust

Faust,
    I have the Sioux as well. I also plan to do all that you said. I already have the extra accessaries you mentioned. I am just getting a bigger compressor. I was going to use black pipe though running around the room. Valves with quick connections.
    Thank you.

Michael,
    If that's the case, I bought a commercial 5hp 2 stage IR several years ago and am very happy with it. When running any one of my sanders, 2" through 6" it works hard. However, how long do we really sand? Good luck with purchase.
    faust

Thanks. It seems as though this will work out well.
    I appreciate the input.

The Eagle 5160V1 is (or was, when I bought it a few years back) the best bang for the buck I could find, and I've been quite happy with mine.

3 cylinder, 5 hp, 60 gallon, 18.5 CFM @ 100 psi, 150 psi max.

Looks like it's about $890 nowadays.