Thread: Acrylic Mirror Masking

Acrylic Mirror Masking

It seems like any mirrored acrylic I have bought recently comes with a clear plastic masking rather than a paper masking. The clear masking seems to affect the edge quality when vector cutting........with the paper mask, the edge always seemed polished, but with the clear mask it almost looks shattered.

The problem is, I can't remember which suppliers use the paper masking......ugh! I guess I'll have to make some calls to find out......unless someone here knows.........

Anyone else notice this issue?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I just find it harder to remove as the edge is almost welded on. Peel and apply transfer tape.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Ditto what Joe said. Delvies uses a paper mask on everything I believe...
    Legacy 800series - 60W (from Jinan Artsign I think)
    CorelDraw X4

Thanks.....yea Joe....it almost seems to bead up on the edge.

Brian, I have bought from Delvies many times before......so I think you may be right.....I'll call them to check. The only thing I don't like about Delvies is that they ship via Pony Express......it takes like 8 days to reach NY.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Brian, I have bought from Delvies many times before......so I think you may be right.....I'll call them to check. The only thing I don't like about Delvies is that they ship via Pony Express......it takes like 8 days to reach NY.
    Yep- waiting on an order of mirrored as we speak... I've been watching the back roads looking for a horse with saddle bags, but no luck yet...
    Legacy 800series - 60W (from Jinan Artsign I think)
    CorelDraw X4

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stezowski View Post
    Ditto what Joe said. Delvies uses a paper mask on everything I believe...
    Brian is correct. We received an order from Delvies yesterday actually and both sides are paper masked.
    30W Universal 3.50 Desktop Laser Engraver (2.0 Lens)
    CorelDRAW X5
    Universal 1-Touch Laser Photo
    Adobe Photoshop 7.0

BOTH sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    BOTH sides?
    My apologies, Steve. We just received the cell cast-acrylic sheets and both sides were paper masked on all the sheets.
    30W Universal 3.50 Desktop Laser Engraver (2.0 Lens)
    CorelDRAW X5
    Universal 1-Touch Laser Photo
    Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Steve
    I am having this problem as well right now but I think I have solved mine. I was spray painting the backs of the mirrored acrylic and didn't realize I was using rustoleum for rust protection on metal... The edges were great after the vector cut but as soon as I sprayed the backs the edges started to crack and splinter all over the place. I went and got some plastic paint once I realized what I was using, and the problem went away. It was happening to me on silver and gold mirrored acrylic with the plastic masking.
    Epilog Fusion 32 60W

Why were you spray painting the backs of the mirrored acrylic? Is it a protective coat?

Engraving through the mirror backing and paint filling the engraving.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Engraving through the mirror backing and paint filling the engraving.
    Gotcha . . . I make LED license plates and use the mirror acrylic as a backplate . . . so I thought maybe I was missing a step . . . LOL

Vicki

Yes I am paint filling the engraving. He is an example of one. This is a Pinball Topper design.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Fusion 32 60W

very nice!