Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who says you can't buy Corian (or other solid surface)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reda View Post
    By removing all markings are you sure it is corian? Not that that makes any difference, but if its abornite or some other plastic whats the difference. The only thing the corian is if not certified they will not warrant the counter top because of technique and such. I don't understand the reomving of the corian name which is usually stamped all over the back of it, took some time to remove them all. Bob
    My understanding is that without with batch # or whatever, there's no warranty claim possible, it's just generic solid surface material.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 10-26-2012 at 7:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Guess they loosened up on this stuff when competition sprang up. I remember when you literally had to take a class in order to purchase wholesale.
    With C.H. Briggs that's still the case. And you can't just pay $150 to take the class, you have to be sent by someone with an account there.

Ours was the first company allowed by DuPont to sell Corian outside of the system. We have sold Corian for 20 years for art and industrial use.

All of the fabricators, dealers and distributors had to sign off on what we do. I have restrictions to provide due diligence for DuPont that we are not harming those under contract. DuPont has been sued in the past over not defending the contract. This is not strictly about warranties. Though that is part of it. It is mainly about protection of the DuPont quality name and the fabricators business.

The system may now be archaic but it is still in place and the fabricators have a right to sue DuPont if they do not defend the contract (certification).
    "And now for something completely different..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I don't see him doing anything wrong, Ken... DuPont has no issue with any of us purchasing the stuff for non-countertop use.
    Perhaps, but re-read the third sentence in the OP.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Perhaps, but re-read the third sentence in the OP.
    Yep, but it's not up to the supplier to query or keep track of the final use... if I pull up and ask for 10 sheets, the onus is on me not to use it for countertops, just for engraving signs. If I installed it in someone's home as a countertop and they made a warranty claim, DuPont would want to know my name (the installer), they wouldn't ask the owner who did the installer get the material from.

So again, this guy is not doing anything wrong.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan

I do not know why you don't get this.

If Tom is buying from a DuPont distributor, he has a contract. The purpose of this contract is to protect the interests of DuPont for quality installations and the fabricators for loss of business to DIYers, and it did this time. In that contract, strictly speaking, it is his responsibility to maintain control of the Corian he purchases. In fact all waste must be destroyed and disposed of in a way that it cannot reasonably used again. If the OP brags about his "Corian" counter top and it fails because of bad installation, DuPont gets a bad name. If another fabricator looses business because of this, DuPont has not protected its partners.

If you buy a house, there may be a codicil in the deed that you cannot change some part of it. The building codes may say it is just fine but your deed may keep you from doing this. The consequences may be that the house reverts to the original owner. Just because you buy things does not always mean that you have complete control.
    "And now for something completely different..."

Blog Entries
    So if I take the Corian I purchase for signs and install it as a countertop, you're telling me DuPont is going to try and go after the person that sold it to me? I think suppliers would get sticky with their supply real quick if that happened... and don't you think DuPont would stop letting people like me be able to purchase it? They don't seem to have any issue with letting me pick it up, as long as I say I'm going to use it for things other than countertops... the onus is on me, not the guy I buy from.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dolph View Post
    Dan

I do not know why you don't get this.

If Tom is buying from a DuPont distributor, he has a contract. The purpose of this contract is to protect the interests of DuPont for quality installations and the fabricators for loss of business to DIYers, and it did this time. In that contract, strictly speaking, it is his responsibility to maintain control of the Corian he purchases. In fact all waste must be destroyed and disposed of in a way that it cannot reasonably used again. If the OP brags about his "Corian" counter top and it fails because of bad installation, DuPont gets a bad name. If another fabricator looses business because of this, DuPont has not protected its partners.

If you buy a house, there may be a codicil in the deed that you cannot change some part of it. The building codes may say it is just fine but your deed may keep you from doing this. The consequences may be that the house reverts to the original owner. Just because you buy things does not always mean that you have complete control.
    But it's NOT a Corian sheet. There is not one identifying mark on it. DuPont is no longer the sole source of solid surface material like it was 10+ years ago. Presumably the patents have expired, or others have found a way around them. For all anyone knows it could be Avonite or Staron or Meganite or ......

This thread brilliantly illustrates how a company can make a product irrelevant by trying to control its marketing too tightly in today's information rich environment.

I wanted to try Corian on a project 8 years ago, until I couldn't source it and the local guy wanted stone prices. Now we can buy non DuPont, as a familiar product because we could source it. Stupid marketing.

There is a contractual agreement between Dupont and anyone who purchases Corian.
    This means that if you purchase Corian you agree to the terms of the contract.
    If you sell small pieces it is unlikely that anyone could use them to fabricate a counter-top or vanity.
    You should not sell large pieces to anyone who is not a certified installer or sign company.

Steve is right in that Dupont's policies will cost them sales, but its their call to make.