Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transformation

Transformation

Tonight I performed a little magic in my shop .

It all started with the November sales flyer from Woodcraft. It was right on the cover, Nova DVR XP on sale for $1749! So I've been going back and forth with myself, spend the money, don't spend the money.....
    Friday morning I called my local Woodcraft just to see if they had them in stock, when they said yes I made my decision. I asked them to put my name on one and I'd pick it up Saturday morning. They said the would, but they also said they'd honor the sale price if I wanted to pick it up today. So I snuck out of work a little early and headed to Woodcraft.
    They got me loaded up and then asked if I'd have some help to set it up. They looked at me a little funny when I told them I'd have the old lathe dismantled and the new lathe set up tonight, and I'd get it done myself.

I got home and started taking apart the old Delta. At 600 lbs, there's no way I was going to be able to move it in one piece.
    2012-10-26_18-47-015.jpg2012-10-26_19-46-38_924.jpg2012-10-26_20-10-057.jpg
    2012-10-26_20-14-044.jpg 2012-10-26_20-29-020.jpg 2012-10-26_20-49-018.jpg
    After cleaning up the mess I made, I brought in the Nova and the stand and got to work. Using a little comealong and one of the metal struts on the roof, I was able to lift it a little at a time until I could get the headstock sitting on a table and one of the leg stands under the tailstock. Then I raised it a little more until I could get the other leg stand under the headstock. Luckily the strut and the strap both held!
    Got all the parts cleaned up, waxed the ways, got all the parts installed then plugged it in and turned it on.

It took about 5 hours from start to finish and I'll make the first curlies on it in the morning.2012-10-26_22-05-033.jpg2012-10-26_23-17-011.jpg
    This should be a fun weekend!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Congrats Kathy.Looks like it's gonna be a fun weekend for ya.

Kathy, I am impressed with your ingenuity! Congrats on the new lathe.

Blog Entries
    There is nothing quite like the "shake down turning" enjoy!

Way to go! Can't wait to see the output from the new lathe. I hope it works out well for you.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

So jealous. Should be a fun weekend indeed.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Congrats on the new lathe! You should keep the other one too
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Kathy,

Congratulations, You will really enjoy the DVR. I kept mine and I still use it regularly. It really is a great lathe especially for the price and physical size. It should really expand your capabilities. You are an amazing lady doing all that by yourself.

Alan

When I installed my DVR a few years ago, I was alone in my shop. So I too rigged a come along to lift the headstock to its table. Great minds think alike. Enjoy your new toy.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Great job, should be a great fit for your shop. I guess we will have a posting of something new turned by the end of the day. Your Delta has a lot of history, it has served you well.

Amazing job on all the rigging! I had a DVR XP for several years and loved it, I only recently switched to something huge. You will have a lot of fun with it.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

You go Girl. Congrats on your new toy. Enjoy and keep those awesome pieces coming.

I hope you enjoy the new lathe. Congrats!

Congrats on the new lathe! I have to admit I'm a bit surprised you didn't take it for a spin right away knowing you're a bit of a night owl turner.;-)

Congrats on your new lathe Kathy. I love mine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.