Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad Weather Ahead The Creek May Flood

We had that overnight. Lost a few pieces of siding off my shop and some small branches. Looks like I should be able to put the siding right back up and its at ground level luckily. Something is banging/flapping at my parents so there's something to deal with over there.

And we have our first snow. Its tiny, but there are some little drifts in corners.

We had strong winds last night (north of pittsburgh), but they didn't seem to be as high as they were expected to be. Power didn't go out, probably thanks to the leaves being off the trees, high winds are almost obligatory power outages during the summer.

Lots of rain, but overall the situation is less bad than was predicted. I haven't been outside the house in the light yet to see if I lost any shingles or if the neighbors did.

Worst wind we've gotten since I've lived where I am now was when a tropical storm went by several hundred miles to the west. We had winds up to 80 miles an hour and a clear blue sky because of the disturbance not directly from the storm, but from the reaction of atmosphere to a disturbance several hundred miles away. We were out of power for a week with that one, and it was clearly worse than this storm, even that storm was worse for us than it was for the people under the actual storm.

I'm amazed (being in from the coast) how much population along the cost is less than 10 feet above sea level. That would seem to me to be a bad idea unless someone *wanted* to live that close to the water for the sake of being close to it.

In Maryland, about 50 miles west of Baltimore. Lots of rain last night and wind was loudest I have ever heard. Didn't get much sleep, as our 12 yr Choc. Lab was scared with all the noise. Cleaned out the street gutter this AM, so water could get to the drain about 100 feet away. Appears some shigles off roof of house and garage, so I guess we were lucky compared to others. Light rain now and very little wind.

Power went out at 3:30 yesterday afternoon and wasn't on when I left for work this morning. No generator yet (scheduled appointent for 11/15) so we have no heat, water, or power for the freezer and fridge. Last night I fired up the wood stove and cooked my dinner on it by the light of a kerosene lantern. After dinner I opened a bottle of wine and watched the fire in the woodstove while listening to a nice classical concert on the battery powered boom box. This morning I perked a pot of coffee on top of the stove and scrambled up some eggs and bacon. Life has been simple, but good.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

We lost our Internet connection early this morning for a few hours. We never lost power, like Paul said we also got off easy on this one. We still have some local flooded areas but we didn't get any of the high winds that were predicted. Can't find not one tree that fell either. My dad-burn barn has two inches of water in it this morning so I need to get out my pump this afternoon

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    We lost our Internet connection early this morning for a few hours. We never lost power, like Paul said we also got off easy on this one. We still have some local flooded areas but we didn't get any of the high winds that were predicted. Can't find not one tree that fell either. My dad-burn barn has two inches of water in it this morning so I need to get out my pump this afternoon
    Whew! I'm glad it wasn't any worse!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Glad to hear the weather and damage was minimal Keith!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I couldn't get on early this morning for a couple hours--was that on your end, Keith?

We're supposed to have winds 20-30 MPH and gusts of up to 50 MPH today, with a chance of some showers--all part of the remnants of Sandy. I'm only about 30 miles from the IN-IL border, too, if that gives you an idea of the sheer size of Sandy and the accompanying weather system.
    Most likely so. I posted at 3:00 am, tried again at 3:15 and it was down.

I'm surprised you never went down, Keith...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike,

We never lost power which is a miracle but we did lose our Internet connection for about 3 hours.
    We were very lucky...........

Manhattan didn't fare so well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/

This whole not having power and only intermittent water thing is getting old I tells ya.