Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt for a Good Wood Filler

Hunt for a Good Wood Filler

I'm looking for a filler that I can skim a HW floor with during sanding, filling in small cracks between the boards and small holes in the wood. I'm not looking to fill the open pores in the grain, although if you trowel the entire floor this will happen.

Ideally I'm looking for a size container for the entire project around 2400 Sqft. I don't mind mixing with saw dust for a color match. Looked around in the big boxes and found nothing that looks like it would work for my application. I don't mind ordering it if I can't find a source local.

Maybe check woodfloors plus up in Glen Bernie. They have filler by the large bucket. I got mine there and it seemed fine.

Hmm never thought about that. What did you buy and could you add sawdust for color?

If this flooring is going to recieve a clear finish I wouldn't take this route. As the flooring expands and contracts the filler tends to look worse than the voids that it was meant to fill. It also won't change colour over time as the wood floor is prone to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    If this flooring is going to recieve a clear finish I wouldn't take this route. As the flooring expands and contracts the filler tends to look worse than the voids that it was meant to fill. It also won't change colour over time as the wood floor is prone to.
    +1

It won't "tend to look worse" over time. It will look worse.

they make a resin that you mix with the sawdust from your sanding then fill the floor with it this is what the professionals use forget the the name but you cant buy it at the borgs try a flooring store that supplies the pros

Quote Originally Posted by guy knight View Post
    they make a resin that you mix with the sawdust from your sanding then fill the floor with it this is what the professionals use forget the the name but you cant buy it at the borgs try a flooring store that supplies the pros
    Thats exactly what I'm looking

those were good points that were made about the filler cracking .I have done both .My figuring if the house is stable [moisture /temperature] you can use filler .Did a cabin over the summer ,fir floor. Did not use filler which seemed wrong because "thats how it is done" . Now it is done so glad we did not . The gaps will be there ,but there just part of the floor .if it had filler you would still see gaps at times but slso you would see filler .This is clearly a real wood floor .Cannot be mistaken for a prefinished box store roll out product . Just some thoughts ,you need to evaluate your situation

My experience with using sawdust as part of a filler is that the filler winds up darker than the natural wood. I find it does not color match.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My refinisher guy only patched his nail holes and some very small blemishes on my floor. It looked great.

Back in college I lived in a place that had a massive overdose of filler applied to the entire floor. Words cannot describe how bad it looked.

I prefer leaving a gap and holes than filling it.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph f merz View Post
    My figuring if the house is stable [moisture /temperature] you can use filler .
    No such house. Any structure the size of a house is going to have some amount of thermal expansion/contraction.

just talked to a friend who does it for a living he says all he uses is lacquer mixed with sawdust says it works for him for years

just talked to a friend who does it for a living he says all he uses is lacquer mixed with sawdust says it works for him for years
    LOl I'm a bit stupid... lacquer?? what kind? I'm asking because I have never bought any. Lacquer thinner yes, but no lacquer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    This is my experience. I much much prefer the cracks.