Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody upgrade to Windows 8 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    XP upgrades early on turned a lot of PC's into door stops. Vista never left the dodgy stage.
    It certainly wasn't crap till SP2. I've never had an inplace upgrade that ran as well as a fresh install, no matter the OS version. Thus I always do a clean install. And door stop is the wrong word anyways. The upgrade may render the OS unbootable, but the system itself isn't a door stop. Load a clean install of the OS and go with it.

As for Vista, I beg to differ. Vista w/ SP2 is fine on a good system with enough memory. It simply had a high system overhead, and many of the systems it shipped on (especially laptops) weren't powerful enough to run it properly.
    Last edited by Kevin W Johnson; 10-30-2012 at 4:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    This is not the reaction I had expected. I have several geeky friends who have had Windows 8 installed for several months now. Everyone of them absolutely LOVE it!
    Bingo.

The geeky types I know love it. The generic problem which I have is that we proles are not focused on the tech process, but on the business process..the keystrokes, as it were. Plus MS's long term track record on new OS releases clearly indicates to me that 18 months on the sidelines, eating popcorn and watching replays, as the first responders take the hits for the rest of us, is a smart strategy.

I have zero problems with those that grab and go. In fact, I enthusiastically encourage them, because otherwise the rest of us would be at risk when we are finally forced into it.

And, just for the record, I speak as a non techno.geek, I speak as a former CIO of a Fortune 1000 company. I did not want our transition to be early. I wanted it to be successful. Not for the techies, but for the thousands of non technical people trying their best to do their job at locations scattered from border to border and coast to coast.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Vista was so slow it couldn't even turn itself into an operating system
    Installed on a proper system, w/SP2, it runs just fine. It just needs a good dual core, and plenty of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Installed on a proper system, w/SP2, it runs just fine. It just needs a good dual core, and plenty of ram.
    I have a higher end laptop with 4 gig of ram and Vista still was a dog Windows 7 made a world of difference on it.

When I still owned my tech company, we never upgraded to a new os for at least 6 mo to a year to avoid being beta testers for ms. Thats not what my clients paid me for. Hell, I still don't adopt the latest and greatest even in Linux, cause I don't need the headaches anymore. If I want to try something new, that is what virtual box is for.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    When I still owned my tech company, we never upgraded to a new os for at least 6 mo to a year to avoid being beta testers for ms. Thats not what my clients paid me for. Hell, I still don't adopt the latest and greatest even in Linux, cause I don't need the headaches anymore. If I want to try something new, that is what virtual box is for.

Hear, hear.

God Bless the technogeeks that are the early adopters.....they are fronting the tsunami for the rest of us.

But....me??? No. Never
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I just recieved my upgrade disc. I will load it onto my Windows Vista desktop and see how it goes before loading to my Windows 7 laptop. I am anxious to get this done so it will work seemlessly with my soon to purchase Windows 8 phone.
    Lori K

In the past there have been work-arounds to install upgrade versions from scratch without having to install a previous version of Windows first.
    You start the install, and have the older version CD/DVD with you. It will prompt you for that disc.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You start the install, and have the older version CD/DVD with you. It will prompt you for that disc.
    There are others that don't require having the disc for an older version, which is what I was hinting at.

I have a higher end laptop with 4 gig of ram and Vista still was a dog Windows 7 made a world of difference on it.
    Your experience was different than that of mine then.

Your experience was different than that of mine then.
    +1 Vista worked fine on my computer with 4Gig of RAM and a dual processor. Win 7 on a newer computer was not a lot faster until I changed the disk to an SSD, which did speed up some things quite a bit.

But Vista was not bad. Used it for a number of years. Stable, reasonable speed.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Listening to Morning Edition this AM, they were talking about how Windows 8 really comes into its element when a user has multiple Windows devices (tablet, phone, lap top). Files are available across all devices simultaneously, with elements in the UI updating in real time (think Facebook, email, and other social media).

OS's are now entering into a unified support for hardware platforms. A user will see the same interface regardless the hardware device, and their data will be highly available, again regardless of hardware device. This is the way OS's are heading. For users with just a single device, Windows 8 may not be all that big of a deal.

MS has Windows 8
    Google has Android
    Apple has iOS
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I bought a new Lenovo with Windows 8 for my bride. It was $299 at Best Buy with 4GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive. Its a different look and feel but so far I like it. Her previous machine was a Toshiba with Vista that died and I am trying to troubleshoot without much success.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I bought a new Lenovo with Windows 8 for my bride. It was $299 at Best Buy with 4GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive. Its a different look and feel but so far I like it. Her previous machine was a Toshiba with Vista that died and I am trying to troubleshoot without much success.

What's the Toshiba doing?

4 gig of ram was so last century