Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reduction gearbox/transmission

1. Thank you for this useful information and thanks for all the suggestions too!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sebed View Post
    ...Also, I don't have a figure for how much force it takes to pull 1/2 mile of wire with a weight (the weight is an old window sash weight ie long and narrow).
    [Ha! I just noticed this was an old thread! Good fun. ]

You might try pulling the (tensioning?) weight with a spring-loaded hanging scale, such as for luggage or fish. But without a clutch I'd be concerned about it snagging on the ground or something and causing a disaster before I could cut the power - maybe put it on a sled (or have someone walk with it.) Or use another method for tensioning, such as a pulley or two with some rotational tension and a manual idler.

I didn't have time to read all the posts so this may be covered: Do you have a tractor with a PTO? Plenty of power and no problem with the speed control.

Or a powerful variable-speed corded electric drill. I have a big (and old) VS Makita that has so much power it will almost twist your hand off if it gets jammed!

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-02-2017 at 2:09 PM.

Before you reply, please note that a first time poster has resurrected a 5 year old thread.

Do you have to pull the entire weight of the wire? I assume that you are working from a truck or ATV. Can you drive into the wire and use a battery powered drill to roll it up as you go? The drill only needs to be strong enough to wind the wire.

With your original plan, you have to pull the entire weight of the wire. You should have some mechanical advantage at the beginning because the spool is empty even though it needs to pull the most weight. Near the end, the spool is larger, but the pulling force should be smaller. Not sure if you would need a speed reduction unless the wire starts pulling too fast at the end.

Steve

Perhaps a gate closer. I have an 18' gate and the electric closer is geared down to practically nothing. It has sprockets and chain drive, which could be reconfigured.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.