Thread: Jet JJP-12HH

Jet JJP-12HH

Howdy all,
    I just got a Jet JJP-12HH. I really like the machine although I have only put a couple of test pieces thru it. My question is what is the tolerance for the beds. The infeed side of the jointer is dead flat but the outfeed side has a 0.003 inch cup in it. Is this within tolerance? I know this is wood working and that is very small but when I spend almost 3k on something I want to know that it is correct.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mine has some cup. Boards come off it flat, and tearout free so I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Watts View Post
    Howdy all,
    I just got a Jet JJP-12HH. I really like the machine although I have only put a couple of test pieces thru it. My question is what is the tolerance for the beds. The infeed side of the jointer is dead flat but the outfeed side has a 0.003 inch cup in it. Is this within tolerance? I know this is wood working and that is very small but when I spend almost 3k on something I want to know that it is correct.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    You should call Jet and ask them, but I went through this on mine. Mine was cupped over .010" I believe. WAY too much. They didn't have any beds to send me, so they ended up sending a new machine. I think .003" is probably within spec. The thing is, they should be dead flat, and there's no reason why they can't leave the factory like that. That's one of the reasons I don't recommend the Jet anymore. That said, I don't think you'll ever see .003" manifest itself in the wood you're running through. I think mine currently has about that much.

I am hoping to get some decent length boards thru it this weekend. The 2 footer I was playing with came out really flat so I think I agree that I will never see this amount of error.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    You should call Jet and ask them, but I went through this on mine. Mine was cupped over .010" I believe. WAY too much. They didn't have any beds to send me, so they ended up sending a new machine. I think .003" is probably within spec. The thing is, they should be dead flat, and there's no reason why they can't leave the factory like that. That's one of the reasons I don't recommend the Jet anymore. That said, I don't think you'll ever see .003" manifest itself in the wood you're running through. I think mine currently has about that much.
    John, were you ever able to fix the 'drooping bed' problem? I believe that was the issue you were having. That would be enough to .... irritate .... the good humor man.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    John, were you ever able to fix the 'drooping bed' problem? I believe that was the issue you were having. That would be enough to .... irritate .... the good humor man.
    Short answer is NO. Longer answer is that I made it a lot better by dropping the tables adjustments as far as I could, removing flex from the system. It's a lot better now. I still have to readjust them but not nearly as often. It's tolerable, now.