Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My favorite new tool, and only $3.98

My favorite new tool, and only $3.98

For those of you who skip to the end.......it's a pencil sharpener.

For years, I have tried to come up with a good place to put an old fashioned wall hung pencil sharpener. No matter where I tried, I didn't like it. It was in the way mounted to the bench, awkward to reach on the wall, etc. So...a year ago I got a cheap electric one, and put it with the battery chargers. It was OK, but I never liked it much, being a cheapie. Being a cheapie myself, I couldn't bring myself to get a good one.

It quit working the other day, and I took it apart but there was nothing I could fix so I was back to square one. Walking through Lowes yesterday, I happened onto a package of Hanson pencils, made in the USA. Remembering the thread on good pencils I took a look, and found it included a small pencil sharpener like kids use at school, except this sharpener was heavier duty and had a hex shaft on it that fits your screw gun or drill.

I bought it for the pencils, and when I got home I tried out the sharpener. WOW! It's like an electric sharpener on steroids, and it takes up no space. I sharpened 27 pencils in no time. It worked well on my 500 RPM screw gun, but smoother and quicker on my 1500 RPM impact gun. The single blade on it will not last forever obviously, but it is held in with a screw and could probably be honed a few times.

Like I said, it's my favorite new tool......for $4.

Rick Potter

got a sku or product number from lowes so the rest of us can see about getting one?

Find and old 1/4" drill, chuck it permanently to the drill, and then look for a place to mount the drill!! HAR HAR. (But, it would be a one-handed operation at that point. ("point" = no pun intended)

Joseph,

Just happen to have the bill in my pocket. Lowes SKU 210021. It was in the tool department, on an end cap, near the Sharpies. Look for a plastic tube the size of a tube of caulk.

I'm gonna get another to put in my tool bag.

Rick P

If you want to see what the carpenter pencil version looks like, a picture is at the bottom of this link. http://chhanson.com/markingPencils.html
    Last edited by Bob Faris; 10-30-2012 at 1:39 PM.

Gotta go with what works for you....but I love my electric pencil sharpeners. I have one I picked up from the dump, and another I'm not quite sure where it came from, but they just come along every now and then and work great for my needs.

JeffD

thanks. i've seen those in HD just didn't think they would work that well. good to know they perform so i'll keep an eye out when next in a big box store.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    I now keep my old-fashioned hand-crank pencil sharpener mounted to a block of wood which I can mount in my vise anytime I need it. I keep it on the workbench when it's not in the vise, so it's always handy.

Steve

Found it at my store for $4.08 LOL you got a better price
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

You call that tube thing a pencil sharpener

Now this is a pencil sharpener......
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's a pencil sharpener?

I just buy a bag of those bright-colored, disposable mechanical pencils. I find that the magic number to avoid wasting time looking for a pencil is to have about 10 of them strategically placed around the shop. They seem to migrate, but with 10 of them migrating, I always seem to be able to spot one before I've wasted too much time looking.

Keith

OK,

It's official. Bill wins. I will borrow that next time I need to take 3 or 4 feet off a pencil.

Sheeesh, first guy doesn't have a chance.

Rick Potter

The scary part is that it looks like might actually be used. Nice Halloween segway.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-31-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Bill,

I have a couple of electric pencil sharpeners, considerably lighter duty but more on the space save side. LOL

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    I would LIKE to use mechanical pencils, but I have no luck with them. Usually, they won't keep a grip on the lead. The lead keeps slipping up inside the barrel. And then, when I forget it's a mechanical pencil, I ruin my pencil sharpener when I put the pointy end in the sharpener and give it a few cranks. Makes a bad noise, too. ;>)

what do you do with 27 pencils
    If there is not time to do it right the first time there is NO time to come back and fix it