Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly about Hurricane Sandy

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly about Hurricane Sandy

Americans are the kindest, most helpful and most generous people on earth. A small minority don't have these qualities. In reading the news about Sandy, I was appalled at those who wanted to blame either Democrats or Republicans for the disaster, those who laughed and said that it served people right for living in the affected areas, and those who hoped that certain people died during the disaster. What ugly, distorted people these were.
    Also, when these kind of disasters occur, the implements necessary to dig out, cut trees and salvage damaged properties are often sold out at the hardware stores. A few people begin to charge outrageous prices for their used chainsaws or for ordinary services. I'm down here in Columbia, SC and we weren't affected by the storm, but I know that my wood turning friends and neighbors in Virginia are helping those in need. In other words, they're acting like Americans.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

It's the job of the news to keep your attention. If they feel like the best way to do that is to get people to say ugly things, they still have you on the hook as far as ratings go. I'd ignore it, you're just feeding the system if you don't.

A minority of folks has always done or said things like that, the difference now is that the internet makes it easier to catalong peoples' comments, and then they get boosted right up to the news. Along with bloggers who are just dying to figure out how to get people to their pages, political or otherwise. Same conclusion, don't feed it, don't repeat it.

We have gotten worse over the years about repeating things we don't like because we get so aggravated about them, but it just lends credibility to the method of distribution and by giving an ear to the people who say them. I know people of my grandparents age generally distanced themselves from such things instead of discussing them, but I fall into the same trap you did sometimes, I don't have as much discipline about it as my grandparents do.

You can bet there are plenty of stories about good people helping others in NY, stories that will never be aired.

Blog Entries
    In reading the news about Sandy, I was appalled at those who wanted to blame either Democrats or Republicans for the disaster, those who laughed and said that it served people right for living in the affected areas, and those who hoped that certain people died during the disaster. What ugly, distorted people these were.
    I agree that they are many truly ugly distorted people who try to make themselves more important through the misery of others.

It is sad that so many have become polarized to the point of finding something so terrible as a way to promote their agenda.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow, I think you just summed up my thoughts on this election in 2 sentences. Both sides.

Hilel, this just supports the saying, "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!". While there are an amazing number of good people around, I lost my confidence in poeple many years ago. While I don't believe that anyone "deserved" this by any means (whether it be hard times, injury, or death) for living in an effected area, there was a story on the news recently that boiled my blood: A community of about 250 (might have been 280) homes in Virginia has flooded 3 times in the last 10 years. The solution is to build a levy along the Potomac to protect this community. Apparently, it will be up for a vote to VIRGINIANS to approve the building of said levy! Why on God's Green Earth should the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia (oddly not a state, but a Commonwealth, but that is a discussion for another time) pay for a levy to protect these 250 homes? EITHER the community should pool the money, they should raise the money in a fundraiser (that way those who care can pay help pay for it), the company that developed the community, or the builder that built the community should pay for it. It isn't the responsibility of the people that live out of that community to pay for a levy via taxes to build a levy to protect a community that probably shouldn't have been built in the first place. Gladly, I don't live in Virginia...

While we weren't hit too hard by the storm right here where I live (thankfully), my heart goes out to all those who did...no matter where they live.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Wow, I think you just summed up my thoughts on this election in 2 sentences. Both sides.
    Unfortunately Matt, Canadian politics seems to be changing to a much more polarised type as well.

What ever happened to respecting and learning from different points of view?

I'm beggining to think that political parties of all types have outlived their usefullness as I can't imagine how any particular ideology could have the market cornered on good ideas.

Best wishes on your upcoming presidential election, hopefully the storm and your lives will have returned to normal before the big day.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I agree that they are many truly ugly distorted people who try to make themselves more important through the misery of others.

It is sad that so many have become polarized to the point of finding something so terrible as a way to promote their agenda.

jtk

On the other hand.......

If they did not make all the right noises the media would run them through the ringer for that. Remember Bush/Katrina?

Hard to say who to blame, the Media, the politicians, or the moronic general public that sit in front of the Box soaking up all this bologna.

This is why I do not have a TV.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Hilel, this just supports the saying, "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!". While there are an amazing number of good people around, I lost my confidence in poeple many years ago. While I don't believe that anyone "deserved" this by any means (whether it be hard times, injury, or death) for living in an effected area, there was a story on the news recently that boiled my blood: A community of about 250 (might have been 280) homes in Virginia has flooded 3 times in the last 10 years. The solution is to build a levy along the Potomac to protect this community. Apparently, it will be up for a vote to VIRGINIANS to approve the building of said levy! Why on God's Green Earth should the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia (oddly not a state, but a Commonwealth, but that is a discussion for another time) pay for a levy to protect these 250 homes? EITHER the community should pool the money, they should raise the money in a fundraiser (that way those who care can pay help pay for it), the company that developed the community, or the builder that built the community should pay for it. It isn't the responsibility of the people that live out of that community to pay for a levy via taxes to build a levy to protect a community that probably shouldn't have been built in the first place. Gladly, I don't live in Virginia...

While we weren't hit too hard by the storm right here where I live (thankfully), my heart goes out to all those who did...no matter where they live.
    do your point of view apply to the series of expressway that are build in you state that you may never use ? what about all of the lakes that you will not fish in ?

Again, Ray, I have no clue what you are saying/asking...never mind, though.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Rod, I'm waiting for the day that polititions run on their values and beliefs, rather than pointing the finger and trying to belittle their opponents. Just state your platform, and if the public likes it, let them vote for you. Slamming and slandering the other guy has neither dignity nor poise.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post

Well, they're voting on it, Mike. If they don't want to pay for it, they won't. Sounds like things are working as they should, aren't they?

Me too Mike...............Unfortunately the "sound bite" world we live in seems to discourage this.......Rod.

Blog Entries
    Well, personally, I like living in Virginia.

Virginia is for lovers.

PHM

I'm an equal opportunity blamer. It's both the fault of Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Tea Party, and Green Party (but especially the Green Party)! And it's all George Barack Bush Obama's fault!

Hey on a serious note, I heard that the good news about the power outages was that it put an end to those annoying political phone calls. It would almost be worth it for the power to go out until the election if it would stop those darn calls!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I got two today.