Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So if you "sell" something on eBay and the "purchaser" doesn't pay...

So if you "sell" something on eBay and the "purchaser" doesn't pay...

I was selling something on eBay, and the auction ended about 3:30 last Friday. I immediately emailed an invoice and was going to ship the thing as soon as I got payment... Well. I never heard back from the winner, even though I sent a couple more messages.

Apparently, eBay's policy is that you can begin cancellation procedure after four days. It's been four days if I count the weekend... Should I start the cancellation procedure? OR does the weekend not count toward the four days?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Given the events of the last few days you might cut them a little slack. Not a ton, but a little.

Hmmmm... maybe, but why didn't they at least acknowledge on Friday or Saturday? Y'know like, Ok... I'm busy boarding up my house for the hurricane, will pay as soon as I get back? They had enough time to make the final bid....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

maybe their connection is down....
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I usually wait for 2 weeks and if I don't hear from the buyer I let them know that I plan on re-listing the item if I don't hear back from them under normal conditions, but I agree with Jim U. Possibly due to conditions that the buyer can't control I would give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.
    David B

They may have put a high bid in and their bid was never over that one. The bidding goes up by what you have listed.

Open up a claim. I had the same problem. Unfortunately, chances are you're NOT going to be paid, and the best you can hope for is a refund from ebay for the listing fee.

To their credit, the phone contact info for the 'Bay customer service is pretty good. I'd at least call them, since claims take a LONG TIME to get resolved.

Jerome-
    Exactly what happened to me! I listed a car for sale. The bidder meant to put in 3000 instead of 30,000... 8 weeks later still trying to get refunded the listing fee from Bay.

Well fortunately there wasn't a listing fee.

Wish there was a way to figure out where this person lives.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Start the cancellation process. You can always end it immediately if he comes out from under some Sandy rubble and pays.

Sounds like you don't know this: A person does not need to "be around" at the close of an auction to win. Plenty of programs out there that auto-bid at the last moment. They could have entered their bid into their auto-bid program 5-6 days before your auction closed. If I bid on something Monday, and Sandy showed up late that week, I can tell you an auction might slip my mind in the grand scheme of things.

But start the process and relist the item just in case they're weiners.

FYI: I've sold about 4,000 items on eBay. Been shafted maybe a dozen times. Chances are, there's a reason they haven't responded.

I'd agree, follow the process guidelines and just go through with it and relist the item.

I have had people delay paying, but they have always been in contact while they delayed. It doesn't benefit anyone to be the humanitarian on paypal and ebay, they stick to their rules hard and fast. The one in 10 people who genuinely forgot or whatever and who would've paid, that's just too bad. Ebay and paypal won't hold it against you and it's not your job to spend a couple of hours of your own time trying to figure out who is genuine and who isn't.

Some folks only check their emails once a week---------Really
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I had a buyer not pay recently. I opened a claim against them and quite frankly I have no idea what action if any was taken against them, but the sale was cancelled and I got my listing fees back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Hmmmm... maybe, but why didn't they at least acknowledge on Friday or Saturday? Y'know like, Ok... I'm busy boarding up my house for the hurricane, will pay as soon as I get back? They had enough time to make the final bid....
    If you're boarding up your house in prep for a hurricane, cheching your email is the last of your worries.

Check the Advanced Search option at the top of the eBay menu bar.
    On the left, under Members Find Contact information.

Even money says your buyer is among those still without power.
    If not in that geographic region, start the unpaid bidder process.

How much money are we talking about, anyway?