Thread: Staining from metal in tree

Staining from metal in tree

I recently got hold of some large butternut (over 24") I cut it up and put it away, and there was a piece
    with staining from metal in the tree. (BLACK) I decided to mess with this piece (20 inch platter)
    The staining was deeper than I had ever seen. My question is has anyone ever used the black staining
    as an enhanchment on projects or should I just burn it and grab another piece.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Kevin - I have turned a few pieces that had staining from metal and I just left the stain in place. To me it is adds additional character to the end product.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Kevin, like Steve said...to me, it's a natural enhancement that adds to most pieces. Generically, it's called 'mineral staining'. I guess it's like anything else, personal taste and all. I've got some walnut and some poplar blanks both in drying mode to be peppermills someday, each has some some interesting dark purple/blackish stains from a nail at some point in it's life.
    Do you have a pic of it, I'm sure we'd like to see it.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I'm with Steve, use it as an accent. A mystery as to what caused it could be a good selling point?
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I had a natural edge cherry bowl with a big black stain. I took it to a market and it was the first sold. Surprised me.

Dave F.

I got a big ash log that was full of fence wire. Most of it was unusable because there was just too much metal in it. I did turn one 14 inch bowl that had a hole about 1/4 inch diameter where I pulled the wire out of it and a large blackened area around it. It looked really nice when I got done with it. Jared

I agree to leave it as a enhancement.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've turned several bowls and pepper mills from the "Stonewall" Jackson Prayer Tree (white oak) with black metal staining. Check my website for some photos.

I think it enhances the piece.

Dale

I collected some honey locust a few years ago. The tree came down on a Lenox Mass Inn property.
    The staining was dark, and on the lemon chiffon yellow and pink wood, it makes a STRIKING contrast. I'll be using it to make boxes and small hollow forms. The stain running down the length of the pieces will add an excellent accent, I think.
    Change One Thing

Kevin,
    Take a look at one of Marilyn Monroe pictures.
    She had a mole on her face.
    I think they called it "beauty mark"
    Sooo.. just think of the black staining as a "beauty mark"
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

around here we call it bleeding. i have found nails in trees and were it was at there will be a very good stain there ..