Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Valley Plow Plane

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    To be honest, I didn't trust myself not to wreck the handle without improving the situation.
    You can always call LV Customer Service and get another handle. Trust me...they're good that way!

Ron

My 2 cents: the LV Small Plow Plan is a beauty; easy to setup and use, easy to get good results with. I am very pleased with mine and highly recommend it.

I've had my eye on them for quite some time, but so far I haven't been able to justify one because my Record 043 does everything I've needed to do so far. I also have a Record 405 multiplane (Record equivalent of a Stanley 45) that I've never tried to use. If you get one, let us know how you like it. Maybe I'll ask Santa for one.
    Michael Ray Smith

I've been looking at this for several months, trying to justify the purchase. How does this work on plywood? My most immediate project would be to make dados for drawer construction for a storage unit under my bench. I'll be using Baltic birch.

User power tools to make a dado in plywood. Tool steel and plywood glue is not a good combination, and you'll likely be working across the grain ripping up the top veneer even if you had luck cutting a groove.

Well guys, I ordered one today.
    Should be here by Tuesday.
    I will let you know how it works.

Thanks for the help.
    Dale

Gee David...You're taking all the fun out of this for me. Actually, I wondered about that. I have a small router table setup that I've used for similar plywood projects. I think I can still figure out another reason to get the plow. Maybe another free shipping event, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    User power tools to make a dado in plywood. Tool steel and plywood glue is not a good combination, and you'll likely be working across the grain ripping up the top veneer even if you had luck cutting a groove.

That works. I wouldn't normally lean toward premium tools unless someone said they just had the money and they wanted premium no matter what, but in this case, the LV small plow is trick. It's fabulous.

I just ordered a cheap Record 43 to use until Lie-Nielsen decides to make their plow plane. I considered the Lee Valley version, but their tools just aren't for me. What I do like about Lee Valley is their breadth of choice and commendable customer service. You will be very happy with your purchase.

I just got my plow plane in the mail today.
    Honed the blade and made a few test cuts.
    WOW.....
    Works great and easy to use.
    Not awkward to use as I thought it would be. Very comfortable in my hand.
    I was really surprised to see that it did a nice job cleaning up both surfaces. I thought I would have to clean up the wall with a shoulder plane.
    I will need to scribe a line when using it across grain.
    No nicker. Still does a great job.
    Maybe now I can give my router plane a rest.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Cruea View Post
    WOW.....
    I was really surprised to see that it did a nice job cleaning up both surfaces. I thought I would have to clean up the wall with a shoulder plane.

Dale
    Glad to here you like it. That's been my experience with it exactly. If you pay attention to the grain you will easily get clean cuts. If you go through a swirl of grain or if the grain angles so that it isn't all that straight to the edge of the board you can get some tearout on the sides (as with all planes), so pay attention to the wood you are using.

Don't ever give your router plane a rest. It remains one of my favorite if not my favorite tool. Now that you have a plow for cutting grooves you'll just have the opportunity to find new uses for it!

WOW.....

Dale
    Glad you looked it. Like I said, I loved mine, except that it killed my hand. Still trying to find a replacement.
    good stuff!
    Paul

WOW.....

Dale
    Hah, next up it'll be time to expand it. I just got the wide blade conversion kit, T&G bits, and wide blades for mine in the mail today. It's definitely a much more versitle plane than I realized before I finally broke down and ordered one.

Keep that shoulder plane around though. I know I've had to touch up the vertical side a few times when I've have used it for rabbets.