Thread: Ribbon Box

Ribbon Box

I think I'll tell the wife I spent the weekend wrapping her present.
    4x4x4"
    Maple and walnut ribbon box. Ripped, planed, laminated, scroll sawn, routed, assembled, sanded, broken(twice), and finished with conversion varnish.
    I think the bauble will fit nicely into this box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Very nice work.

Blog Entries
    Now that's just cool right there!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    There's a lot of work in that box. It looks great!
    Bauble?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Your box is better than any gifts I've made this year. Nice work .

Mike

Oh. The bauble is the "real" present. This is just the wrapping. Actually "the bauble" is a piece of handmade jewelry I bought at the last high end craft show. Then I got the bright idea to make this box to put it in. Y'know, knock it out in a few hours kinda idea? Right. 16 hours later.... Well I did make a pen at the same time. That ca glue finish is a pain in the you know what.

Also the box is based on a free plan by scroll saw guy, Steve Good. Modified of course. Steve's plan is all scroll sawn.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 12-23-2013 at 8:09 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Blog Entries
    Beautiful box. Your wife should be extremely happy.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

You must really HATE wrapping stuff ,to get that creative! Don't forget the name tag with poem!

Really spectacular box! I love the Ribbon, it really really sets the box off! Spectacular work, the wife will be smitten I am sure, irregardless of what is inside!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Very, very nice ! Nice combination of woods. Well done !

Thanks for the compliments. My wife did indeed love the box. Made all the frustration and swearing worth it.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim,

Your attention to the surface on the inside of the ribbon loops was noticed and appreciated. This is the only time I will ever say to you... "nice package". Well done.

Bill

PS - Your comment above lend itself to unintended but amusing misinterpretation.

Hmmmm. Not sure I understand how it can be misinterpreted, but I will say that it definitely wasn't the wife doing the swearing. :-D

And lord yes the sanding of the ribbon was tedious. When I finally got the thing all assembled and sanded, the center bow broke off. That accounted for a great deal of the swearing.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Maybe I am misinterpreting you now, but I think he ment that the cursing and frustration could have been at your wife all these years and not the box which is how I originally interpreted it the first time I read it

By the way I don't see how anything inside of the box could have been as cool as that ribbon is.