Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmenting Different Approach

Segmenting Different Approach

Here is a Ambrosia Maple Bowl Blank that I roughed out last year and Kiln Dried. I decided to try something different with it, so I attached this segmented feature ring to it and top it off with another piece of solid Kiln Dried Ambrosia Maple. Since all the wood is Kiln Dried, I am hoping for the best -- We'll see how this works out. It is 6 3/4 inches tall and has a 13" diameter. The feature ring is my attempt at Ray Allen's Alternate Block design.

Ambrosia Maple with Alternate Block Feature Ring.jpg

What ya think??

Absolutely gorgeous! You've got a lot more patience than I do.

Joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Bill that is the coolest piece I have seen in a while. I really like the segments sandwiched in the middle.

Keep it for a couple of years and see how it holds up. I certainly hope that it does well and that you would let us know what it does.
    C&C WELCOME

I like it. Has a nice woven look. With the KD my bet is its going to hold up fine.

Bill
    I do believe you hit that one into the stands.Very nicely done.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Bill, nice job with the segmenting. Regarding the long-term stability issue with the unavoidable cross-grain, it's difficult to predict. When I first started do segmented work about 20 years ago, I did a few pieces with this type of construction. Some experienced minor failures and others held together. There's just no way to predict, making it a risky proposition. If it's thin and well sealed, it has a fair chance at a long life.

Awesome bowl Bill! Love the shape and the feature ring, and the wood combos really work well together.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I think it is an attractive bowl..have my fingers crossed for you
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beauty Bill. Love the wood combo's.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is really nice Bill;
    Love the design and as everyone else said the longevity of the bowl ? Only time will tell.
    What did you use for a finish?
    If it was one that soaks into the wood then there should be no room for moisture and thus you will be home free.
    Really nicely done.
    Peter F.

It's a Hand Rubbed Lacquer Finish on top of two coats of Sanding Sealer. Maybe I should have gave it an oil finish.

Wow Bill!! That should be on it's way to a gallery or my bookcase!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I'm not saying anything about how this will "hold up". Probably be just fine. But right now, it's gorgeous. I really like the different woods and the "window" effect. Nice one!
    David DeCristoforo

Bill;
    The sanding sealer should have soaked in the that will keep the moisture out.
    Sure hope I am right and there is no shrinking or cracking.
    Nice piece.
    Peter F.