Thread: 7" tablet (Take two)

7" tablet (Take two)

A lot of good advice on my other thread about the best 7" tablet. Some suggest waiting till the new Fire HD and I-pad mini was released and see what they offered.
    That day has past so what are your thoughts on the new offerings?
    I am leaning towards the Google nexus 7 ( The GPS and the voice recognition is too cool) but like Amazon for their service and support.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Bump back to the top for anyone who received a Kindle Fire HD or the Google Nexus 7 for Christmas.
    My biggest concern is some report the new Fire HD does not do Youtube well.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have iPad2 and love it. But between Google Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD I would choose Nexus 7. This tablet ( by review from Wired and other reputable magazines) - best in the tablet market for 2012.

Ed.

The Kindle Fire HD has been described as an Amazon content delivery device. You pretty much have to get all your content from Amazon. The Kindle fire HD does have most of the popular apps. I have no idea if there are popular apps available for Android that are not available for the Kindle Fire HD. The Kindle fire HD is described as being a very good experience because it is more of a closed environment if you like that.

The NExus 7 is a pure Android tablet that can access pretty much any content out there. Google Play has a ton of apps.

5. If I were you I would get the Nexus.

I bought my wife the Kindle Fire HD for her birthday in early December. It's the slighty larger one, something like 8.9" because we're both getting blind as bats. She loves it. So much that I've had a hard time getting her to cook my dinner lately. Neither of us are real computer savvy but I haven't seen anything you can't do with it so far. And it holds a charge for what seems like forever.

The Nexus is an Android device. Google writes that software.
    There are many, many more apps written for Android.
    There is a free Kindle reader for Android. You can buy books from Amazon, and read them on your Android device. I have the Kindle reader on my Samsung phone, but don't use it much, as I'm not into reading electronically.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I would avoid anything that locks you into amazon content. There have been more than a few instances where amazon has removed paid for content from people's kindles without warning or compensation ( George orwells 1984 is a good, somewhat ironic example.) I have also read instances of them clearing people's kindles remotely. http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...eletes-account
    I will never, ever own a Kindle.
    we do own an iPad, and it is a pretty good reader, and got a kobo mini for Christmas. I like it as a single purpose device for reading.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    I bought my wife the Kindle Fire HD for her birthday in early December. It's the slighty larger one, something like 8.9" because we're both getting blind as bats. She loves it. So much that I've had a hard time getting her to cook my dinner lately. Neither of us are real computer savvy but I haven't seen anything you can't do with it so far. And it holds a charge for what seems like forever.
    How is it at playing YouTube videos?
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    How is it at playing YouTube videos?
    Plays youtube videos just fine. I'm not sure how these things sync up but when I go to youtube on it, it knows me and has my favorites too.

I got the kindle hd and am using it now. It is pretty much an Amazon content device but My best hope I think for a device that my kids can use without as much worry. If I were buying for my use a Nexus would be my choice. The Fire hd is a nice little device and I am really happy with it.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Plays youtube videos just fine. I'm not sure how these things sync up but when I go to youtube on it, it knows me and has my favorites too.
    YouTube works fine for me too. scary isn't it Curt?
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    YouTube works fine for me too. scary isn't it Curt?
    What app are you using for YouTube?
    - Rick Dale