Thread: Cocobolo Bowl

Cocobolo Bowl

I have posted comments about tools on the Creek, but never any turnings. So, I thought I'd break tradition and post a recent cocobolo bowl that was in the instant gallery at SWAT. Critiques are welcome - I am always happy to learn from others...
    Dave

Cocobolo Bowl 1.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Mueller; 11-02-2012 at 9:49 AM.
    Way south of most everybody...

Dave that is a beauty as is the wood. Really like the simple form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You have done that piece of Cocobolo proud! Beautiful wood, beautiful bowl! Glad you are not sensitized!!

Great looking bowl Dave. My only complaint is not knowing enough about it...size, finish, what it's goiing to hold; Ice cream, mixed nuts, carmel corn...you know, the usual stuff.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Bernie, Barry and Jim, thanks for the comments. Jim, good question, thanks for catching my omission. It is pretty small - 4" diameter, 2" high, a little under 3/32" at the rim and 1/8" near the bottom. I was limited by the cocobolo that was available. The finish is BLO and then BLO/CA on top, both done on the lathe. Right now it is sitting on the coffee table...probably too small to hold anything. Cocobolo sure is fun to turn (as long as you are not sensitive to it) and it really finishes nice.

Simply beautiful.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Cocobolo has long been a favorite of mine. This is a great illustration of why. The wood is alive! This "simple" bowl really shows it off. Well done!
    David DeCristoforo

It is a nice bowl, coco is always a winner. Glad I am not allergic to it yet.

Beautiful bowl. That's some great wood.

Dave - that is a really good looking bowl! I like the form - especially the way the walls slant inward! Beautiful wood! Hope this means you will start posting some more of your work - you obviously have been holding out on us!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I gather from them that sensitivity to cocobolo is more widespread than I thought. I got a large piece because the prior owner was hyper sensitive. At least for me, so far, so good. Steve, I'll start posting more.