Thread: Photo size

Photo size

I see that the photos in some posts are already full size and don't require clicking on a thumbnail to see the big picture so
    what is the trick to attaching a photo full size rather than as a thumbnail?

Don't know that I want to do this but it could be a useful option.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Hi Sam. You would have to host the photos on some other website, like Flickr or some such site, and then just link to them in your post.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 11-02-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typo

OK, thanks Todd. That's why I won't be doing this.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

If you enjoy looking at pictures please upload them here so they will be here for years to come and others will also enjoy your efforts.
    The next time you view a thread and see the red X where the pictures should be and get frustrated because you really wanted to view them you will understand.

Blog Entries
    IMHO, posting pics full size robs the thread of the amount of information you can view on the screen without paging back and forth. The thumbnails allow the pics to be quickly blown up and put back without making a thread with 5 posts 11 screens long . As Keith says, hosting at other sites is inconsiderate as many times folks lose interest in the 'photo-bucket' or whatever and don't maintain their site. The result is meaningless threads referring to pictures that are no longer there. Grab PixResizer or some other super-simple picture re-sizing freeware, set your widest dimension to 800 pixels and load your pics here if you really want to share them. We love pics but, broken links in threads that are only a year old are quite frustrating and waste people's time and forum resources.

Now stepping off soap box . . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I mostly agree with you Glenn about full size photos taking up to much page space, but sometimes...
    Anyway - it was just a question as to why my photos are always as thumbnails and others have full size .

I have several photo specific programs on my computer but how I bring the photos into The Creek seems to have no effect - all my photos are as thumbnails. Thought there might be an Creek image manager way of changing that and so the purpose of my question. As for what Keith wrote and your comment about "pictures that are no longer there", I don't understand the point as I have no experience with photo bucket or "hosting at other sites" but I think you are going beyond my basic question.
    WQJudge

When composing your post, upload your photo, then double click the photo. You should get a popup with options for that photo click the option to display as full size instead of thumbnail.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Sam Murdoch;2000007 As for what Keith wrote and your comment about "pictures that are no longer there", I don't understand the point as I have no experience with photo bucket or "hosting at other sites" but I think you are going beyond my basic question.[/QUOTE]
    This does go a little beyond your original question but the point they are making is that some folks post a thread and instead of adding the images to it and have a copy of the photo reside here on the creek, they link to a site like Flickr or Photobucket or some others. A few months later, they get tired of that site and remove the photos or the site dies away. Then someone comes along on the Creek, sees the post and thinks, Wow, i want to see that and all they get are little squares with a red X in it. Frustrating.

Oh, I get that Jim, frustrating to be sure. No I won't do that, but I might try what Mark suggested.
    WQJudge

There is another consideration when resizing photos for posting here. And I agree about posting them on a 3rd party site, they disappear. I use GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). In terms of capability, it's probably similar to Adobe Photoshop Elements but the price is right - Free and is available for Windows, Mac & *nix at gimp.org. In addition to dimensions expressed as either inches or pixels, I can choose the 'density' of pixels when saving as a .jpg file. An image displayed on a screen does not require the 'pixel density' to look good as does an image that is to be printed. An 800 X 600 image saved at a lower quality produces a file size of perhaps 43k which should be dial-up/slow internet connection friendly but still looks fine on screen.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-05-2012 at 7:38 AM.