Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never in My Wildest Dreams...

Never in My Wildest Dreams...

I never imagined I would have a workshop of this size and quality. It really looks like a workshop now. Shingles are supposed to go on tomorrow and siding Monday. The upper story which started out to be a little attic storage is now a full blown work area, 17'x36' with 9' to the ceiling where the collar ties are. There are 3 skylights on the south side. Double window at each end which I really wanted for cross ventilation. A nice breeze was blowing thru today. On the lower level there are 4 windows on the south side which seem to provide nice natural light. I plan to put my lathe, veneer table and mortiser upstairs. That will free space on the lower level for milling lumber, band sawing veneer, table sawingIMG_1139.jpgIMG_1155.jpgIMG_1158.jpgIMG_1159.jpgIMG_1157.jpgIMG_1167.jpg and other work that takes up space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats Glenn!..... livin' the dream!

C

Blog Entries
    That is going to be one great shop....... Keep the pictures coming.

I would hate to go up on that steep roof......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Congratulations on your latest project Glenn. It looks like it will be a great looking building and an amazing space for working wood. I have three sky lights in my 22x22 shop, and my only regret is that I didn't put in one or two more. I agree with Von, keep the pictures coming!!

What's the plan for insulating between the rafters - the run from the outside walls to the collar? I'd think some open space needs to be maintained for venting the roof. How are you going to heat and cool the building?

You are now a member of the lucky dog club. Congrats on the new tool house. Lots of us on this forum would love this much elbow room. Please tease us with some more photos when the toys move in.

+1 on all the comments above, especially the Lucky Dog membership!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

VERY nice!

It's looking nice Glenn!

Congrats!.....and keep those photos coming!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My plan for insulation is to put R-30 fiberglass over the collar ties and down the 5' knee walls. That still leaves an uninsulated space between the inner 5' kneewall and the outer 2' kneewall. I could put a foot of loose cellulose in there. The only economical heating option around here is propane so I will have them put in a 100 gal. tank next to the workshop. I'll use a 75,000 BTU ceiling mount heater. I have a 45k BTU heater in my garage with about the same slab size so I think 75k should do a dandy job in the new shop. I don't plan to put in central A/C. I'm used to just fans in my old garage workshop but in the new one I could use a window A/C in really hot weather. If that fails I could look for an inexpensive central A/C unit. Units I'v seen cost about as much as, let's say, a new Powermatic 20" planer. Repair and maintenance on our homes's heatpump is very high.
    I hope it quits raining so the roofers can get to work.

To say I am envious would be to completely short change what you have! Good for you, enjoy.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I think you will be fine with a 75,000 BTU Heater. I use two 1500 watt electric heaters. I'm just 75 miles or so south of you, and like you, I get fine in the summer without AC. Your sky lights will generate a little extra heat in the summer, especially given the southern exposure. You might look into some reflector shades. Are you running water out to this building as well?

No plans for water, that would involve connection to the septic system. I'm sure the upper level will be toasty warm in winter and could get uncomfortably hot in summer. I could stick in a window AC during heat waves, but I hope that a window fan will give good cross ventilation between the double windows at each end when temperatures are not in triple digits.

Looks like you are in Lafayette, Joe. I am on the northwest side of Indy, northwest of Carmel. I frequently work in Lafayette at the new IU Hospital, it's about a 50 min drive to work. Send me a PM if you ever want to meet for a coffee or beer.

Ahh. I was confusing Westfield with Westville. You will certainly get some oppressive heat indices in your attic in July and August, but a window fan might do the trick. I find my tolerance for heat is much better when I'd doing woodworking than let's say yard work. I guess it has something to do with the "want to" factor.

Are you still planing to finish the interior yourself? What have you settled on for your interior surfaces?

My shop is 30x24....with R-19 in the walls and R-30 in the ceiling. My Lennox 75,000 btu hanging furnace doesn't even work hard to keep the shop at comfortable level. I keep it at 64ºF unless I am finishing. I will raise it to 70ºF a day or two before I do any finishing.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi, Glenn your shop looks very nice!! If I could make a suggestion, it would be to look in to spray foam as you insulation.
    I have used it in 3 projects in the past and the owners have told me they love how tight it makes the structure. one guy is a friend and he says he could heat his garage with a candle.You could get a price from Wolff's insulation my (#1 choice) or Environmental insulation their in Westfield, and overhead door on 96th st. It's worth a look and to get a price shouldn't cost any thing. i have found these guys could install for a little more than I could buy insulation from the borg for and install it my self, and yes i do put a value on my time. By the way I live about 15 minutes from you in Sheridan.
    congratulations on the shop and keep posting pictures.
    Thanks Tim