Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Better Gas Can

A Better Gas Can

Some time ago there was a thread that discussed how bad the gas cans were. I hated mine until recently. I bought one called No-Spill and love it. It has an easy to use push button on it and you can stick it in a small engine gas tank and it will shut off when it is full. They are not cheap but they work extremely well.no_spill gas can.jpg

I hate those no-spill gas cans. I found 2 old school 5 gallon cans at a yard sale about a year ago.

+1
    After suffering several of the riduculous gurgling variety, I bought 2 of the No-Spills at my local equipment dealer. Somebody finally got it right.
    - Tom

well , I did own a NO-SPILL can but someone stole it and some gasoline that were it it

Is it still common to set a hot lawnmower on fire when refilling the gas tank? Or have lawnmower designs and gas can designs changed so that isn't a big hazard?

As a kid, I have vague memories of seeing adults set fires when refilling the gas tank of mowers. They were not serious fires. The common gas can in those days was a cylindrical metal can. It has a thin metal hex shaped cap in the center for filling the can. The spout had screw-on cap that was frequenly lost and replaced with bottle cap. In my memory these cans were heavy and held a lot of gas, but childhood memories exaggerate sizes.

Meh. Better than anything I've found today but not as good as old cans. On one of mine the o-ring that seals the spout to the can was missing and I spilled gas on me. About half the time the o-rings stick to the can instead of where they belong and I get gas an my hands trying to fix it. And they are slow as heck dumping a full 5 gallons.

Haven't used one, but while it looks ok for filling a lawn mower, I'd prefer a longer spout for filling a car.

Well, I had occasion today to put gas in my truck with it. Newer Fords have a capless fuel filler opening and come with a funnel that opens the sealing mechanism. Even with that I couldn't get the last pint or so out of the can. Guess I can dump that pint on the ground or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Well, I had occasion today to put gas in my truck with it. Newer Fords have a capless fuel filler opening and come with a funnel that opens the sealing mechanism. Even with that I couldn't get the last pint or so out of the can. Guess I can dump that pint on the ground or something.
    NO< DO NOT waste your gasoline, you can buy a hose to fit your funnel and the tank so that your gas can can be move around to empty it or empty the troublesome can into a better can

I solved my problem with a funnel. I just take the spout off and pour. Problem solved. I do like the No-Spill design, and if I need another small can I'll get one, but my next fuel "can" will be something like this, because I'm pretty fed up.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/scepter...l-cap--3001403

And dat's dat.

that are nice ,wonder if you can still buy a smaller version of this, 5 gallons are plenty

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I solved my problem with a funnel. I just take the spout off and pour. Problem solved. I do like the No-Spill design, and if I need another small can I'll get one, but my next fuel "can" will be something like this, because I'm pretty fed up.

And dat's dat.
    John the same or similar can at Northern Tool had AWEFUL reviews last time I checked. Plus 14 gallons of gas is about 85 lbs. And for safety you need to set it on the ground for fueling. How you get it back in the vehicle after, who knows?
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 11-04-2012 at 9:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post

Yea, I keep one of those long skinny funnels in my Jeep as the filler is so recessed, you can only get about 25% of a 2 gallon can in the tank without it. I have a old 25 gallon version of the TSC tanker I use for my boat. It works only because my boat sits below the dock as it drains by gravity. I finally figured how to get it out of my van when filled, but now that I just sold the van and have an SUV, not sure how it will work. I have 3 of the squat 6 gallon plastic gas cans, but the little cap for the yellow nozzle is missing on all 3. Wish someone made a replacement cap.

That definitely looks better than the Eagle cans that everyone around here sell with the plastic funnel. The funnel is kind of hard to get on and off and feels like its not going to last real long.