Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do we get the new yankee workshop back on tv???

How do we get the new yankee workshop back on tv???

MAN...I really miss The New Yankee Workshop! How can we get this show back on the air. I am so ready to see the series all over again, from the very beginning. All I ever see on TV now, is a bunch of reality crap. There's just nothing at all like it on the air. Up until a few years ago, I worked for a PBS station and I'm going to contact them about this, but they are only 1 affiliate of many. How do we do it?

Good luck with that. I'd like to see them also, but it looks like PBS has them locked up. There's one episode a week on the website though. Norm built a lot of good projects, some simple and some complex.

It was a great series and a great body of work, it's a shame that they are not available for viewing.

I feel the same way, it was a great show. I bought all his books and lusted after all his tools. I was also a fan of Hometime which at least until recently was still on the air, however it isn't the show it once was. Much like This Old House, it started out great but evolved into something different, in my opinion it got too big for its britches. Maybe Norm felt it was better to bow out rather than change? It would be nice though to be able to watch the reruns.

On a side note, I actually met Norm at a Handy Andy back in the day. He must have talked for 90 minutes and then took the time to meet and greet anyone who wanted to. I still have an autographed copy of his first book and a picture of the two of us somewhere as well. He was a great down to earth person. Those were the days ......

By popular demand: "....an now I'm jus gonna use mi routuh...."

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    ..... How do we do it?
    boy i wish i knew. while renovation realities and other shows may provide a little humor and an opportunity to laugh at people who mostly have no idea what they're doing, norm and others actually showed us how to make things. wile my mechanical engineer dad was handy, norm actually showed how seemingly complex projects were really assemblages of sub assemblies. maybe it's just changing times. when TOH started, there was bob villa along side norm talking about how homeowners participated in the early projects and their sweat equity was their contribution to the project. today, some of those TOH projects look like megaprojects that most of the population would be hard pressed to afford. and the homeowners contribution? besides paying the GC bill, it seems like it's choosing appliances , gadgets and colors. changing times, i guess, as we move relentlessly towards a world simulated on ipads and smartphones and away from using our hands creatively and constructively.

I'm going to guess more of this has to do with Norm than PBS. He sells DVD's. Not blaming him in the slightest - it's his work so why not profit from it? Same goes for all previous seasons of The Woodwright's Shop - you have to buy those online too. I'd also like to see David Mark's show replayed, but it's the same thing - he is selling downloads on his website. I guess this is one of the unfortunate things about woodworking really taking off as a hobby - there is money to be made, so things that might have been cheaper of free, from old hand tools to TV shows, cost more.

It was Norm who decided to quit filming The NYW. After 21 years, he wanted to move on to something else, whatever that may be. I doubt if he would consider returning. They were also having problems finding underwriters for the show.

What I would like to see is a cable TV woodworking channel. However, I doubt there is enough interest (read advertising dollars) to make it succcessful.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    If they can get funding for "reality shows" depicting writing parking tickets and towing cars, it's kinda hard to believe we can't get a whole channel dedicated to making stuff.

I used to donate to PBS to keep the woodworking shows airing. Now they show mostly cooking shows.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

Just go ahead and buy the the complete set...it's only $3000

Yeah...saw that $3K...too steep for this yankee! As for Norm doing new shows...that's not even necessary. If they just replay the old ones from the beginning, that would suffice and probably get a whole new set of viewers, too. And if Norm wants to sell more vids, the best thing he can do is to increase his following. As far as underwriting The New Yankee Workshop, I can't see tool manufacturers and retailers not wanting to underwrite this show. There's not even any production costs to pay for.
    For Mr. Morash, the show is already in the can. Reselling it would cost him some phone calls and emails, but that's about it. If it's true that Norm sells the vids, then he get's the bennies with none of the work. In fact, he may even get some personal appearances out of it to boot.
    Yeah...this is all talk, I know and I'm sure there are others factors involved. It's not like any of these guys are going to read this or get wind of it, but it just sure would be nice.

You guys probably know, but his stuff is still available here for free, but you have to wait for the right episode to come up: http://www.newyankee.com/#ecwid:cate...roduct=7916628

ian

Norm is my hero, however why not redo NYWS with a new host? Not one of the weirdos like they did on This Old House...I mean a real woodworker! If they can just change main characters like they did on Two & a Half Men why not Workshop?

I can see it now! The Sawmill Creek Show on DirectTV!! Bringing you all the latest projects of wood working, CNC and Lasers.

Blog Entries
    You can watch reruns here http://www.newyankee.com/ Problem is you have to watch what they chose to post (new video each week). You can't browse a list and pick your project. But then, that's how it was when the show was on.