Thread: I got to assist Steve Sinner at Marc Adams School of wood working this last week.

I got to assist Steve Sinner at Marc Adams School of wood working this last week.

I had a great week. I got to assist Steve Sinner with his week long, deep hollowing & surface embellishment class at Marc Adams school of Woodworking. This was my 1st time at Marc Adams. All I can say is WOW what a great 1st Class School. All the way from the class room with 17 One Way lathes, several grinding stations with Wolverine sharpening systems, good video system set up on the instructors lathe in the front of the class room. The food they feed you at lunch was also excellent.
    Many of the students there said that they have been going there for various classes for years. One guy said this was his 39th class at the school, another said this was his 8th class this year alone!!!
    Here's the turning room.

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been there twice and agree it is a 1st class school. It has been a few years since I went there and hope to return next summer.

That's great Joe. Would love to be able to attend something like that.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

What a great opportunity buddy! Congratulations.
    mj

Looks like that would have been quite the class to take! Glad you got an opportunity to assist Steve and I am sure you had a blast doing it! Pretty cool classroom! Looks like they mean business there!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Joe, I whole-heartedly agree about the quality of Marc’s school. I teach a segmenting class every year at MASW and what your pictures don’t show is the machinery room right next door. In that room, there are about four of every woodworking tool that a segmenter would ever need. And this is just the machinery room for this class. There are usually two other classes running at the same time and they have their own machinery.

Sounds like a great experience. Marc's school is on my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    Joe, I whole-heartedly agree about the quality of Marc’s school. I teach a segmenting class every year at MASW and what your pictures don’t show is the machinery room right next door. In that room, there are about four of every woodworking tool that a segmenter would ever need. And this is just the machinery room for this class. There are usually two other classes running at the same time and they have their own machinery.
    You're right about the machinery room. It would make any wood workers mouth water!!! Most of the machinery is Powermatic's industrial duty machines. I also saw several Saw Stop table saws. Then there is all those nice wood working benches with all those really nice wood working vises.
    There was also a class in another room where everyone was making a dovetailed blanket chest with all hand cut dovetails, that looked like it would have been a fun class too.
    Once again I got to say it was a Great week.

Joe, those lathes look a little small for you guys. Looks like you had a great opportunity. Steve is an extrodinary teacher. He is so knowlegdable of such a wide variety of skills and techniques.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Joe, those lathes look a little small for you guys. Looks like you had a great opportunity. Steve is an extrodinary teacher. He is so knowlegdable of such a wide variety of skills and techniques.
    Bob your right on all counts here. It was a great opportunity for me, & I really enjoyed it. Steve is a great teacher with so much knowledge to share that I think that everyone who takes a class with him will come away more knowledgeable, no matter how many years they've been turning & what there skill level is.

I had never heard of it (don't get out much)until I googled it. It certainly looks like a fun and informative place!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    I had never heard of it (don't get out much)until I googled it. It certainly looks like a fun and informative place!
    Baxter, it's actually the largest wood working school in North America. This was it's 20th year, great facility that attracts some of the best instructors available in all areas of wood working.
    People from all over the country come there for classes. We even had 2 people drive down from Canada for our class.
    Last edited by Joe Meirhaeghe; 11-05-2012 at 9:18 PM.