Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I move a barn for new shop?

That is how it was erected, only using manpower on the ropes!

never try this myself but I do know how, do you need someone to supervise ,be very careful

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    Been thinking about moving a barn to my property for a new shop. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want a 1920s era gambrel plank framed barn or an 1870s era post beam barn.
    I welcome all thoughts and comments. Please tell me if I am crazy or if you think this is a worthy undertaking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl
    I'm thinking of taking both to build one good barn.

Personally I also like the look of the Gambrel. It just is personal preference, but that makes me think "farm" and country living and all that rustic stuff. The post-and-beam one just makes me think "old". But again, it's just what I like.

I do say that the lean-to on the end of the gambrel looks really sad. But without the lean-to, the Gambrel would look REALLY tall. A lean-to, or some other similar single-story structure on the side of the barn might just connect it better to the earth, make it look less imposing.
    So.... I was just thinking, and maybe this is crazy, but you said you might take both... I wonder how it would be to use part of the post-beam barn to make a better/taller lean-to on the side of the gambrel. Turn it more into an L shape, and don't place it on the end. Hmm...

Either way I think you'll definitely want to model something up in sketchup (or similar) just to get the outside shape sorted and some of the scale and aesthetics. Plan carefully how this will relate to your house and any other outbuildings on the place and you could end up with a really gorgeous place.

Have fun, post photos!
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

The post and beam would be my choice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    The variable reach forklift I rent has a basket attachment with controls on it for the forklift. This way I can take the roof off without working under it in case anything collapses.
    Looks like a big project, maybe you need to lease a forklift...
    they both could make a nice shop and sales area. I'd try to figure out how much work and money was involved and use that to help my decision.

Glad to read you plan to use a machine. Taking down a big tall building can be dangerous. The church I took down last summer, I had ready to lay over when the wind came up and broke my bracing and the thing came down and broke a lot of rafters. Luckily it was at night and I was not there.

I've been working on my 1920's barn for a couple of years now. The steel roof was put on about 8 years ago to preserve what was there. The below before shots were two years ago. I moved it to put in a new foundation and floor. Last summer my wife and I put on the cement board siding and new windows. The pics of the before and after interior show all the support posts that I removed and installed steel to make more manuevering room inside. The roof style is gothic - curved instead of straight lines. This Winter outlets are going in. I bought my wiring permit last month. The day it arrived I got a call from the inspector who asked to make an appointment to come out and take a look at my work, at which time I told him I thought I needed the permit before I started so I won't be ready for a while.

You get few chances to get one of those old barns. They have little to no farm value anymore so often they get pushed over and burned. My biased opinion is I'd rather look at a building like this on the yard than a pole shed, which I have one of those too but it's condition isn't much better than the before pic of the barn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt, glad to see you are preserving the old barn. Has to be a very expensive project. The thing is, there is so much storage space in a barn. And, it would make a cool shop!

I think the gambrel style is the way to go for two reasons - the more open space will be appreciated as soon as you start laying out your shop, and or moving stuff around. the 2nd reason-and more important-it looks amazing. Leaving the structure of the gambrel exposed would really liven up your work space, and if you are thinking of it as a 'selling' point for your work, you need a space that makes people go "Wow" when they go inside.

As far as keeping the boards exposed on the inside - it can be, and has been done. If you can afford the time, I would go that route. There are ways to insulate from the outside, and if you are re-siding anyway, that is the way to go. It may take a bit more time or money or both, but in the end your final space will be worth it.

Blog Entries
    Cool project for sure. Either would work for me. I see you are in WI, planning on trying to heat either monster?

Thank you for sharing your barn with us, Matt! It looks very impressive--glad to see you putting the time and effort in to bring it back to glory and preserve it for another generation. Well done.

Reviewed an old article in Fine Woodworking: "A Timber-Frame Dream", and am thinking the method shown for insulating the roof would be sufficient for me and would allow the original look inside the barn to remain.

I'm starting to lean toward the plank-framed gambrel barn as well. Thanks!

Yes, was wondering if anyone would ask that! I have a Roberts Gordon natural gas infrared heater in my shop now. The thing is fantastic, I can take the heat from 45 to 70 in under an hour! I plan to install the same thing in the barn. It is very economical, I think the most expensive gas bill was about $30-35 for a cold January. I do turn the heat down to 45 when not working though.