Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Workmate--what is it good for?

Workmate--what is it good for?

I picked up an old Workmate (so old that the H-frames are cast aluminum) probably 8 years ago at a garage sale. I think I've used it maybe twice. Don't know why I never use it. If I can't figure out a compelling reason to keep it I'm thinking I'll try to sell it but given the number of weeks-old Workmate ads I found on Craigslist, it may also end up a scrap metal for LOMLjr's Girl Scout fundraiser.

I have 2 of them and they get used often. They make a very quick base for a chop saw, although it takes a little work to get them to mate with a slider. When I use to do installation work, I always had one with me. I also used on for a stool for a while. They fold up a take up very little space also. I would own 6 more of them if I could find them cheaply, but I also have tool issues.

Matt -

I've never had one. But, there have been times - maybe 1 or 2 times per year - when I wish I did. Those instances always occur outside. Trimming fence components, for example. Somehting to hold the target securely and safely, at a comfortable, workable height, while I go at it with a handsaw, circ saw, drill, etc.

Instead of propping the target up on a cinder block or something, and getting on my knees..............

But, in my shop - nope, no value. I think it's real value comes for homeowners that do not have a "shop", but need to hold, cut, drill some wood.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have three, and use them all the time. (one was a gift, the other two were free so yes there are lots listed for sale).

Any time I need a surface to set something on (which is often). The cub scouts all came and did pinewood derbys - perfect for this and they used quick grip clamps to hold things down on them. (its safer than turning them loose sawing on my good workbench!).

Chop saw for sure - again I have small C-clamps to bolt it down with.

this weekend I was doing some sharpening with a horizontal wet water wheel. Its messy. I just set one of these up outside the door and did it all outside.

Sometimes I use them to stand on.

Or in place of saw horses. (I find saw horses take too much space, and arent as versatile)

Would make a good donation to pass along to someone that does more household type projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post

Sometimes I use them to stand on.

I've used mine for painting, sanding, holding tools, parts, etc.etc.
    I use it all the time.

The one I inherited from my dad hung on the wall for 3 years without being used once....I recently dropped it off at the recycling center.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    painting
    Now the funny thing is in my finishing room I have a HF knock off of a Workmate, much, much lighter duty and much simpler that I use for a stand for spraying. Its getting quite crusty and I've been meaning to pick up a new one, but I don't think I'd want to use the Workmate because its much heavier and has lots more nooks and crannies for dust to hide.

Blog Entries
    Matt, I love mine. I use it all the time in my small shop as a work support, third hand and workbench. Yours sounds like the same early model I have with the aluminum cast H frames. The newer tubular steel models were not as nice. I recently used mine to support sheets of plywood while we cut it for making new doors and end sheathing for my son's storage shed.

If you don't want yours, I'll give it a home in my shop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Oh - its worth noting there are several different models. The ones I have are pretty sturdy units (workmate 400???). I have seen others that are less so.....

Here is the only use I have found for a workmate. Works well with the fan to circulate heat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love my workmates. I have a steel model 200 (mid-size) and a larger cast aluminum I bought recently. I’m actively hunting for a third. The steel one lives under my miter saw, but gets dragged out to the garage as a tool holder when I work on the yard equipment & my Vespa. In my pre-Festool days it got used as an infeed stand for breaking down plywood on my contractor saw. Now, I’m making a sheet-good cutting table to fit on it. If you do home renovation type projects I can’t imagine not having one.

I made a small table top and put a 2X4 across the middle under it and use it at the shooting range to hold paraphernalia. It is great at clamping tapered or odd shaped items. I wouldn't want to do without mine.

This is mine.

workmate.jpg

Its in decent shape I suppose. Two of the rubber feet that it would rest on when the legs are folded are missing, easily replaced with inexpensive off the shelf parts I'd think. There's a little light rust and one lock that holds it closed doesn't latch. I think very little work would fix that too. The top is in fair shape and the cranks all work. I don't have any of the dogs.

Maybe I'll move it out of the garage and into my shop and see if it gets any more use out there. I occasionally set up something messy out in the yard (i.e. routing something that's going to spew dust everywhere, grinding, using my metal chop saw, etc.) so maybe it could be useful then.

Amazon sells the dogs for less than $10/ 4 pack. Also the hole size is the same as on the MFT, so I believe you can use any of the Festool clamps on it.
    Last edited by Harvey Miller; 11-05-2012 at 3:55 PM.