Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Options...

Drill Press Options...

Hi Guys,

I'm realizing I need a drill press for my wood shop. Certain things are not as accurate as I would like when drilling by hand...
    I have been reading through previous posts and also reading articles online about drill presses. Sounds like the old ones are the good ones. I am never quite sure how to budget for a new tool-ie I don't want to buy a tool, and find I have outgrown it, or realize for a bit more I could have gotten a much better model. I try to think about that old saying buy a good tool-cry once, buy a cheap tool, cry every time you use it. something like that...
    The way I see it so far these are the features to decide on -

Radial vs. regular
    Floor vs. Benchtop
    Size (ie 10" 12", 14" ...) distance to column
    Stroke (3" seems the minimum)
    Speeds?
    Size of Motor
    New vs Used

Anyway when I first started to look the Radial Arm Drill presses seemed very neat, with amazing abilities, and some very good reviews. Then as I dug deeper-I noticed a lot of folks saying the accuracy is terrible...I am not a machinist, I am a woodworker, so tolerances are a bit different. What do you guys think about radial drill presses? Consensus seems to favor regular drill presses.

So back to regular drill presses. I could go table top, or floor model. The floor models don't seem to be a big price difference, and a few folks have recommended these-as they are easier to move around the shop. I like the idea of being able to move tools around the shop easily-so I'm onto floor models. Some folks have recommended used older ones-as they were built better. Now size of motor, stroke and swing size...these I am having trouble with.

As I don't currently have one, I am trying to determine a 'sweet spot' for size, swing, stroke. Have you guys bought one, and shortly afterwards - thought, dang I should have gotten the next size up.

So for size of motor-how do you know what size you need? Is there a formula for size of bit to determine size of motor?
    Variable speeds? - how many is enough, what do you use the slow speeds for, and how fast do you want/need to go?

One other thing, I have recently seen one on craigslist that is foot actuated, by that I mean there is a small pedal you step on to lower the head. That seems like a great idea, that way you can have two hands on the piece. It is an old delta/rockwell. Apparently from 1949.

I know that the basic question - is how will I use this? At this point I just want to be able to drill straight holes in furniture/cabinets that I make. But I understand that sometimes when you get a tool, you find new potential uses for it. Or realize it's shortcomings...when you try to do basic things. So any advice on how to determine the right size for me would be appreciated.

thanks
    -Kevin

This one leaves me not wanting a thing. Made in 1968.

Blog Entries
    I have the Delta 12" benchtop model. I have it mounted on a stationary wall stand. Everybody has different needs. I just needed a drill press that would drill a straight perpendicular hole. I also use it with a small sanding drum at times. It fit my budget and it fits my needs.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

The great majority of recent drill presses are Asian clones and pretty similar to each other. Older ones tend to be US made.

The biggest limitation I've found is that there is no drawbar or locking collar on the Asian machines to hold the chuck arbor in the spindle, or the chuck on the arbor. So you can't very safely use a sanding drum, XY milling table, or anything else involving only or mostly side thrust. You are pretty much limited to drilling only. For me this is a big limitation.

Most Asian machines have a table that tilts and rotates. Most US made machines do not. I've found I don't tilt the table very often but once in a while it comes in very handy. For instance, you can tilt the table 90 deg and clamp a long piece to it for end drilling.

Most of the larger Asian machines have a countershaft and two belts. This gives a good range of speeds but sometimes the pulleys are out of true and the belts are crappy and so on. Overall, I prefer the domestic setup with two big cone pulleys better.

Longer stroke is very useful. Most machines can't drill through a 4 x 4 in one step.

I've mostly had floor sitting drill presses. There is an advantage in being able to drill into the end of a longer item. For me that doesn't happen very often. The only read advantage I see for a bench height drill press is if you want it on a mobile base or a base with storage in it. A floor model is top heavy and not that easy to make a stable rolling base for.

As for motor power, I don't think it makes much difference for casual use: The belts can't deliver that much torque to the spindle anyway--not as much as a good 1/2" hand drill, for instance. For large hole drilling in metal, or even hole sawing in wood, the typical drill press is not really that great. I like variable speed motors for drill presses--either DC--can make up something from a treadmill if mechanically inclined--or 3-phase with a vfd.

If my experience is any guide, a drill press is best not bought sight unseen, even a new one, unless the price is really attractive and/or returning it is easy. Best to check it out for runout, condition of the pulleys and motor, etc.

am

I have a Craftsman radial DP and its pretty good. Only complaint is its a bit underpowered with a 1/3 hp motor. I want to get a floor model with a bigger motor but will still keep the radial. It's very good for angled holes as it should be.
    Don

Blog Entries
    Ok, here's a completely different idea. How about a used ShopSmith? The drill press feature is generally pretty good for a hobby application. Plus, it's variable speed AND you get a horizontal boring machine, lathe, sanding station, etc... All for the price of a good used DP, maybe even less.
    I'm just saying, it is one option.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'd say start out with a basic drill press, something you can find on your local want ads, CL, etc for short money. Then you can learn about what you like and don't like about using it before spending too much cash. Sometimes you can have too much tool! For instance I have 2 drill presses at this time, an older Craftsman and an even older Powermatic 1150. The 1150 is a great drill press, but for ease of jumping on and drilling holes I mostly end up on the Craftsman! For more involved setups the 1150 is the go-to press.

I don't have one, but I think a radial press would be good for a 2nd press. I want my drill press to be ready to drill holes at 90 degrees to the table every time I use it. With a radial I feel like I'd always have to check for that before using, kinda the way I feel about my tilting shaper! Again that's just my take not having owned one so take it for what it's worth....not much

good luck,
    JeffD

Thanks for the tips... i think the radial type is out, as I agree with what Jeff is saying. Most of the time, I'll be drilling 90 degrees, and I don't want to have to worry about the press being set up correctly. The floor model will allow for nice options. I definitely want the table to be able to tilt, as to me-those holes are the ones that are impossible to do with a hand drill, and I don't want to have to build a jig just to drill an angled hole.

I think my decision was just made today, while I was at my local Rockler to pick up some clamps for a jig I'm making-I saw the Delta 18-900L, which had gotten very good reviews on this site. They had the floor model deeply discounted, to the point that I couldn't resist. It is probably a bit more than I need - but according to this forum, and other sites - it is a very good one, I can't imagine ever outgrowing it. Supposed to be accurate, and well designed, 6" stroke...the price was a sticking factor for me-but the discounted price makes it worthwhile.

The idea of a shopsmith is intriguing, but whenever I've gotten a tool in the past that does more than one thing, it generally doesn't do any of the individual things very well. I guess if I only had to get one tool-I might go that route.

thanks...

Well I have two and both are older Delta/Rockwell units. One is a 17" from 1951 and the other is a ram type radial that weighs 900 pounds. The radial is equipped with a VFD and has 16 speeds with belt changes, so it will go from zero to 8,300 RPM. It is my go to machine most of the time. The 17" Delta is equipped with the slow speed pulley set that gives a nice range of speeds for both metal and wood working. I would be looking on CL if I were you. If you buy an older machine and need help getting it into perfect running order, you can go to the OWWM.org website and they will get you through any problem you might have. Last summer, I sold 5 Delta 14" & 15" drill presses that were reconditioned for between $150 & $175. They are out there and in your area. I just sent you a PM with a couple of leads.

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7135-001.jpg

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    I'd say start out with a basic drill press, something you can find on your local want ads, CL, etc for short money.
    Skip the short list that you'll get rid of later, and go for the good stuff.
    Like this one. I paid $150, and put another $50 into cleaning it up.

0910001708.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I love drill press threads.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Kevin, looking forward to hearing how you like your 18-900L. I've got my eye on it but wasn't ready to pull the trigger when Amazon recently discounted them a bit. Would you mind sharing what you got your floor model for?

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Skip the short list that you'll get rid of later, and go for the good stuff.
    Like this one. I paid $150, and put another $50 into cleaning it up.

0910001708.jpg
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but that type of machine IS the entry level type of used press I'm recommending. I had the bench top version of that years ago, inexpensive old iron The 'really good stuff', (at least in terms of woodworking), I would equate to the big Delta's and Powermatics which usually run closer to $500+ used and have variable speed, deep throats, and long quill travel. Heck even my Craftsman has 10 speeds to choose from

The point was merely to find something for short money like what you did, and use it for a while before spending a lot of cash on a bigger machine with more features For that machine may be all he ever needs!

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guarnotta View Post
    to drill an angled hole.

ed, 6" stroke...the price was a sticking factor for me-but the discounted price makes it worthwhile.

thanks...
    A 6" stroke and a longer drill bit will enable you to drill lamp posts

I picked up the Delta Today. Just over $625 with tax. I got it back to my shop. It is missing a couple screws, and the bottom rack collar is super tight. I have taken it off, and looked at it. The guy at the store said this is a common issue with these machines - the coating on the collar was too thick. He had suggested just taking it off and sanding it a bit. I have done that, and now the table will spin out of the way without too much effort. I'm not sure how often I'll need to rotate the table out of the way. If it is a lot, I may take that collar off, and have another go at it with some sandpaper.

The quality of it is much worse than the top one. I'll probably be giving them a call tomorrow to get it replaced...

My shop floor is so out of level...it is hard to find a good spot to put it. I think I may need to get some leveling compound and level up a spot there.

While I must say the older machines are much more beautiful than this new one, I have enough other projects going on - that I can't afford to drive around looking at different machines, testing them out, and or doing some restoration work on an old beauty. That is why I ended up going for new. If I had more time-I would have loved to go for an old one. By the way what is owwm.org? I tried the website a couple times yesterday-and it was down.

I;ll be playing around with my machine over the next few days, testing it out trying to make some things. I'll let you know how it goes. Any suggestions-or is there a place on this forum regarding things to test out the machine? I have read on this forum it is important to test your machine once you get it-to make sure there is not too much runout, and other things. I just don't know how to test that? Also I'm going to be lookign for ways to add some stuff to the table - specifically a fence. I'll start searching the web, but if you guys have suggestions on where to find info on that it would be appreciated.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Kevin Guarnotta; 11-06-2012 at 8:51 PM.