Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bench in progress....

New bench in progress....

Hi All,
    I recently had a friend drop off 60+ pieces of red oak and ash. I have decided to use some of it for a new work bench. I am basing this on Christopher Schwarz's 18th century bench from his second book. I am building it 35" high with a top around 24"x 90". I will be building a leg vise and most likely a Veritas twin screw end vise. The top will be made up of laminated 3 3/4" x 5 5/8" pieces or the red oak. I am using a mix of hand tools and power tools. Too much work for hand tools alone. Any suggestions are welcom. Here a few pics of the work so far.

Rough material:

First few peices of the top

Legs:

Hi ,looks like its going to be a real nice bench.If you haven't glued up the top sections yet consider the grain direction for future flating with hand plane.If at all possible.looks great. Andrew

Andrew,
    Probably can't tell in pics but I have marked the grain to make sure the grain is running in the same direction. Learned that lesson on my first bench.

Mike

It looks like you are already done - great bench!

(what's those big oak pieces you are working on..... ?? )

Big oak pieces will be a test of my patience I guess.

I hear ya mike thats a mistake you only make once.Now that i am out of the sun and thinking clear.Your book probably mentions it too.Are you going to do the 50/50 mineral spirits and oil mix for the top?

I have not decided what to do a for a finish. I left my current bench unfinished and no issues so far. I am open to suggestions.

Can I have the old bench - It looks awesome too!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike,
    I guarantee you could buy a better one for less than the cost of getting it from where I live to where you live. I appreciate the comment though. I built it a couple of years ago from some mystery wood for the legs, bc fir for the deadman and spruce for the top. Has held up well but it is time for something a little more stout.

A bit more progress. The first few pieces of the top are cut to length and ready glue up. I am planning to use biscuits and glue but need to locate some more clamps first. I plan to do this using 4 pieces to make up a 7" x 90" piece and then will join 3 of these together for the final top. May add an additional strip to make it 24 or so wide.

Pretty clean joint.

Need more clamps.

Mike

"Something a little more stout". Really? You plan on parking your car on it? It's really starting to look awesome.

I built my bench about 6 years ago. Finished the top (3" maple") with just two coats of Waterlox. Dried glue pops right off, paint doesn't stick and when I plane and scrape the top to remove the occasional ding or to keep it perfectly flat, it's very easy to refinish.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished project. Just be careful with the lifting and moving, OK?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by doug faist View Post
    "Something a little more stout". Really? You plan on parking your car on it? It's really starting to look awesome.
    lol Thats what I was thinking.

Yep, should hold up to some pounding ok......

How thick is that top?!? Wow!

Kurt,
    The top will be about 5 1/2" thick when finished.

As a side note... I saw that woodstove stoked up in the background and was wondering just where 'Paradise, NL' was.

You are out there Mike, so can imagine a material score is a big event. Congratulations, a great project.