Thread: Spring Lid Hold Open

Spring Lid Hold Open

Has anyone used these? They are used on things like cedar chests, toy boxes etc. I tried them on a cabinet on which I wanted the door to open up and have not been able to get them to allow the door to close all the way. I tried mounting them at least three times and gave up.

My father in law used them on a bench with storage he made for my wife and he did not get them to allow the lid to go quite all the way down either. He was a far more experienced woodworker than me as a matter of fact he was a journeyman pattern maker.

Thanks

George

Hi, George,
    Used one on my toy box project. http://www.crestonwood.com/toybox.php . I was concerned for the little one's safety, and she's had it for a year now with no pinched fingers. I think it came from Rockler.

Blog Entries
    I used them for a desk I made for my grand daughter. I bought them from Rockler and followed the directions that came with them. I had no problems. Just be sure to weigh your lid to insure you purchase the correct support.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Check the Rockler Lid-Stay Torsion hinges. They work really well but are not cheap. You need to weigh the lid being used and us their formula to determine the correct hing[s].

Thanks for the replies. Next time I will use the torsion hinges, much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    ...I tried them on a cabinet on which I wanted the door to open up and have not been able to get them to allow the door to close all the way....
    Yeah, the dang instructions are just plain incorrect. They need to be located about 1/2" lower on the base, or start with the lid at around 5 degrees less than noted if you want complete closure. In my case I just decided to have the lid close on some thick screw-mount rubber bumpers rather than re-mount the supports.
    - Tom