Thread: CMT Jointer Knives

CMT Jointer Knives

Any Creekers that have used CMT jointer knives? I have a set of Freuds ready to install, but I need a 4th knife (Freud comes in sets of 3) and I found CMT knives for considerably less. I've used their saw blades and router bits and they have done as well, but I wanted to find some feedback on their jointer knives. Also, would it be a bad idea to mix and match CMT and Freud? I thought I might do an experiment and run two of each in my 4-cutter head and see how they stand up. Given than the dimensions are the same it seems like it wouldn't create a balance issue.

Thanks for any feedback.

I've posted on this before but glad to do so again. The brands mean nothing ,they may have the same supplier. Most of the knives are M2 (a true high speed steel) ,or a SEMI high speed that ads and catalogs will mislabel "high speed". I would call them. If the knives are not M2 they are probably low grade semi high speed and worthless. Avoid anything sold as "same Rockwell hardness as more expensive knives". High speed steel has a specific technical definition . I would love to see some law suits over the common misrepresentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I would love to see some law suits over the common misrepresentation.
    Any Lawyers around?

I just stay with Freud. Not saying CMT isn't a good company though. They make good tooling.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use a router with a stone in it to sharpen while in the jointer: fast, easy, accurate, and sharp. Plus the knives should last a long time.

If I were going to mix knives I would either have the weights matched, or on a 4-knife head I would use 2 of one brand mounted in 180 degree opposite slots and then 2 of the other brand also mounted in 180 degree opposite slots.

I have a set of Freud knives that have served me well. I don't have any CMT knives, but if they are listed as M2 I would expect them to also perform well.

Good point about the weights. With the semi high speed two knives cut from the same bar can actually be of different weights even when exactly the same length . I have not seen anything sold by specific designation,M2,T1,etc,that was not genuine; but much of what is sold as "high speed steel" is semi high speed.Years ago the catalogs were more specific,somebody decided to fudge it and most every one piled on. My theory is that 1 800 phone ordering contributed.Knives are pricey and people often want quotes, anyone who inquires without specifying steel is always given a price for the low grade stuff. The customer is calling for a quote ,not to be educated; and the salesman doesn't have time to educate. That phone line costs money. Greshams Law applies to tool steel as well as money.

So I see the T1 touted as being better. Is there a substantial difference? Ironically both Freud and CMT just list HSS and no details. I trust both companies based on their other tooling. I've seen some folks say good things about Holbren. They list their knives as being T1, but they don't say who makes them. How do they compare to Freud or the other big names?

T1 is harder and longer wearing than M2. Both will leave an excellent surface. IMO as a practical matter they are equal since most of the time you get enough nicks due to grit that you will want to change knives before they are really dull anyway. Don't pay a lot more to get T1. See earlier posts on steel. Demand designation of EITHER T1 or M2. Do not trust a generic "high speed" description. With proper designation most any supplier is OK as they refer to specific "recipes".

This is where I've been buying my planer and jointer knives.http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/...nife-sets.html