Thread: D-Way service

D-Way service

I ordered a 180 grit CBN wheel and bushing from D-Way Friday afternoon. The wheel was sitting in my mailbox Monday afternoon. The label showed that it was shipped from Washington state to Texas. I am not sure how they got the U.S. Postal service to work all weekend, but they did. I already had the shroud off of the grinder, so installation was around 5 seconds, plus tightening the nut on the grinder. I hope it lives up to it's reputation!

Remember "LIGHT TOUCH"
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob beat me to it. Don't get heavy handed like with the stone wheels.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mine has been worth every penny.

It does. Dave is a member in the club that I belong to, and he's a stand-up guy. Enjoy that new wheel!

Noah

Congrats Robert! It will take a couple of months of use before it breaks in... But you will love it long before then! Enjoy!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Congrats Robert! It will take a couple of months of use before it breaks in... But you will love it long before then! Enjoy!!
    Ok, I'm not all that much of a sharpening guru, just being a newbie turner. It may be time for me to learn something here.. Steve, I'm curious as to why there is a couple month break-in period, or, in fact, any break-in period at all on a grinder wheel. D-way even claims no dressing is needed to use. Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks, Brian

Brian - the CBN wheel is a fairly new product and when you first get the wheel - it is very aggressive when sharpening. I actually had to check the box the wheel came in to make sure I picked up the 180 grit and not the 80 grit! The new wheel - when you ran your finger over it - felt somewhat course. While you don't dress the wheel, over time (maybe a couple of months) the wheel did become very smooth. When I first started using the wheel, I could reshape grinds in just seconds because it was so aggressive. Now that the wheel has been broke in, it gives a very fine edge and acts like you would expect a 180 grit too.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Brian,
    My understanding is when they electroplate the diamonds onto the wheel, I think it is a little like putting gravel on a newly tarred road. There is the layer that is evenly embedded in the binding matrix and then there are some diamonds that sit on top of that first layer that are not as well bound. Since they stick out, they result in a more aggressive wheel. Because they wear off more easily, you end up with the first layer that is more uniform. I have noticed the same thing with the Allan Lacer diamond hone.
    Way south of most everybody...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Brian - the CBN wheel is a fairly new product and when you first get the wheel - it is very aggressive when sharpening. I actually had to check the box the wheel came in to make sure I picked up the 180 grit and not the 80 grit! The new wheel - when you ran your finger over it - felt somewhat course. While you don't dress the wheel, over time (maybe a couple of months) the wheel did become very smooth. When I first started using the wheel, I could reshape grinds in just seconds because it was so aggressive. Now that the wheel has been broke in, it gives a very fine edge and acts like you would expect a 180 grit too.
    Got it. Great info! Thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mueller View Post
    Brian,
    My understanding is when they electroplate the diamonds onto the wheel, I think it is a little like putting gravel on a newly tarred road. There is the layer that is evenly embedded in the binding matrix and then there are some diamonds that sit on top of that first layer that are not as well bound. Since they stick out, they result in a more aggressive wheel. Because they wear off more easily, you end up with the first layer that is more uniform. I have noticed the same thing with the Allan Lacer diamond hone.

Dave, makes a lot of sense, and thanks for the clear analogy. I've only done a little sharpening to this point with the wheels that came with the Woodcraft grinder, very likely not enough to see this behavior yet with those wheels.

Used it. Works great. Recommend it. Short sentences.