Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aarghhh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    Reed,
    Is there a bandsaw where you don't have to remove the wheel to change the belt?
    Yes on the Ryobi bs you remove the motor !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If there is not time to do it right the first time there is NO time to come back and fix it

Not sure if this is the problem the OP is having, but on the 14" Laguna's I've assembled, there is not enough travel in the motor mount and you need to remove the motor and angle it to get the belt off (the motor comes unmounted, so it's the reverse procedure to get it in). Even on the slackest setting, the belt is too tight IMHO, so that will give you an idea of how messed up it is. The first one I assembled, I was thinking "Hey, they made a little boo boo...I'm sure it will get fixed". By the 3rd one, over the course of a year, it became obvious that there was no intention whatsoever to fix it.

To do it is really a 2 person job, it's inconvenient and is a major design flaw IMHO. I just recommend to most people to replace it with a links belt.

Most of the time, you can get a tight v belt onto the edge of the pulley and run it back on by turning the wheel, like putting the chain back on your bicycle when you were a kid.

Can be hard on fingers though, if you screw up.

Replaced the belts, 3 of them, on my lathe like this. Just walked them from one groove to the next. But I had a fair amount of run between pulleys to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Most of the time, you can get a tight v belt onto the edge of the pulley and run it back on by turning the wheel, like putting the chain back on your bicycle when you were a kid.

Can be hard on fingers though, if you screw up.

Replaced the belts, 3 of them, on my lathe like this. Just walked them from one groove to the next. But I had a fair amount of run between pulleys to help out.
    I have use a screwdriver to ply the belt off the pulley before by holding the driver tip under the belt and turn the pulley by hand

A 3/8" belt on a 5hp motor? Seems awfully small.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    Jim
    How is your saw different, I've never heard of a BS that you don't have to remove the lower wheel to change the drive belt.
    Really? Would you like to restate that?

0617021124.jpg

Delta1.jpg

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Is taking the drive wheel off difficult on that machine?
    I'm curious as well. I took the drive wheel of my 17" just so I didn't have to cut the original belt when I swapped it for a link belt. Took the opportunity to do a good cleaning and touch up. Runs spooky-quiet now.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

So disappointed. Saw the title of the thread and thought we would be discussing pirates...oh well